Chapter 2

Twelve of us received red as our color. That's all we knew. The color. Everything else was just going to have to come tomorrow when we actually take our test. Adam was a little concerned with the fact that he got a different color than Alex.

                "You weren't the only set that got different colors. The Ross twins did too and I'm betting they were sure they would get the same color together. It happens. The colors were just random, it's the actual testing that is going to determine what we're going to do. I mean, it's not like we're going to lose contact with each other afterwards. We don't live in districts or have separation of any form. We can find houses next to each other or even on the same block and we can talk every day like we do now and swap stories of the different things we do at our jobs. Because you know, that's what these tests are for, to see which jobs we qualify for and the highest score determines where we go. Plain and simple. No need to think too far into it." I told them and we got up from our seats and made our way out of the auditorium and for the main doors of the school.

                "What do you think the red colors mean? Like test wise?" Alex asked.

                I shrug. "I would imagine they have different ways to test. Maybe, a serum or like an essay or something. From what I've heard from dad, each testing room is different and they do different things."

                We rounded the corner and for a moment, my vision went out and all I could see was black. I fell against the wall and slid down putting my head between my knees.

                Flashing, everywhere. Fire. Smoke. Gunfire. Everything was chaos, everything was destroyed. Buildings surrounding every inch of ground I looked at, burned to the ground, demolished. Screaming, yelling, orders. Demanding, barking orders coming from somewhere. The hard grasp of someone grabbing my shoulder, pulling me up. I look up to see the face of who is grabbing me, but it's blank. Pitch black. But my attention is drawn elsewhere, and once again, all I can see is black.

                "Fin!" Alex calls and I shake my head and look up, squinting because the light is so bright suddenly. "Fin, are you okay?"

                I look at her and stare. For a moment I feel like it was her that had grabbed my shoulder in that vision but I can't tell. I finally nod and inhale. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just felt really dizzy suddenly. I probably just need to eat something. Help me up." I say and both Alex and Adam grab my arms and haul me to my feet.

                I straighten out my pants and grab my back from the floor and when I look up, Ben is leaning against the far wall, watching me. I quickly turn to Alex and usher her and Adam the opposite way. As we walk, I look back to see Ben still staring. He saw what had happened, but does he know that I had a vision? What if there is a significance to the colors for the tests? What if the device read something in our minds that knew to place us in a certain testing area to see where we would end up? What if Alex is right? The Mayor was here for the lecture and to see our results for how we take the test. Everyone knew it was unusual. She has to be behind something.

                Mom is sitting on the couch when I walk in and quickly jumps up and runs to me smiling. I sigh and she quickly wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly. I drop my bag and hug her back and she just holds me for a bit. I wait for her to move, but something seems a little off when she finally lets go and looks at me. The look in her eyes, I had never seen before. It was concerned, and sad, and something else that I couldn't quite put my finger on.