♥︎ 25 ♥︎

Apollo ends up beating me back to the castle, standing tall next to my mother. She gives an excited gasp when she sees me and runs to greet me. Sweeping me into a suffocating hug, I notice her crying.

"Mother, it's alright I'm fine. Apollo took great care of me, and we've learned a lot. Everything's okay."

She pulls back, keeping one arm around me while the other wipes at her face. "I know, I know. He's already told me that. I just-" she pauses as another round of tears overcomes her. "I was so worried about you."

"I know, but I'm okay now."

She takes a deep breath and smiles. "Your father and I have been talking, and we think it's time for you to take over as Queen."

My mouth drops open in shock. "What?" I breathe.

"You're more than ready, and your trip – well, trips – to Scle has proven it."

Now it's my turn to cry. Apollo walks over to me, taking me from my mother's arms and pulling me into his. I lean against him, my knees weak from the bombshell Mother just dropped on me. Me, queen. I mean, I've always known this day would come, I just thought it would be in a time of mourning my parents deaths not having it thrown at me while they're still good and healthy.

"Is something wrong with you and Father?"

Mother laughs, waving her hand. "No, no. It's just time for Loam to be ruled by someone new. We're ready to step down, and you are ready to lead."

Apollo kisses the top of my head, and I can feel his proud grin. It's time for me to take my place as Queen of Loam.

"Alright. When's the ceremony?" I ask, and Apollo hollers in celebration. He sweeps me into the air, spinning us around and around. I laugh, throwing my head back and enjoying the moment. He finally lowers me to the ground, crushing me against his chest.

"I'm so proud of you, love," he mumbles, dipping down to kiss me. I pull away with a pointed look at Mother.

"I wouldn't have done it without you." And it's true. Apollo has helped me grow in ways I never would have thought possible. I've overcome things I didn't think I could, and now I'm a better woman than I was before.

"Alright, you two," Mother drawls. "We've got a ceremony to prepare for."

I gasp. "Today?"

She chuckles, moving to loop her arm through mine as we walk up the Palace steps. "No, but soon."

***

The next day — a lot sooner than I thought — I stand in the throne room before the people who have gathered to watch me take this move into this new stage of my life. Mother and Father stand beside me, with Apollo at my back. His comforting hand rests on my back, and it calms the nervous jitter filling me.

The same minister who married Apollo stands before us to perform the crowning. Mother nods, stepping forward to stand in front of us.

"Calla, my beloved daughter, and Apollo, my new son. This is a very special moment in history. It marks the beginning of a new age. The other Courts of Extier have yet to pass on to their heirs. But today, Loam will accept its new rulers."

Mother pauses, her eyes filled with emotion. Clearing her throat, she blinks up at the ceiling. "Now, do you, Calla and Apollo Gonesse of the Court of Loam, vow to always do what's best for Loam and its people?"

"We do," Apollo and I say in unison.

"And do you vow to lay down your lives if necessary to protect this land?" Mother asks, tears dripping down her face. Father moves to stand beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders with a proud grin.

"We do," Apollo and I vow again.

"Then by the power I hold as Princess of Loam, I now pronounce you King and Queen of the Court of Loam."

The room erupts in cheers and deep green sparks, and Apollo moves his hand to wrap around my shoulder as we kneel. The minister takes my crown and lays it on my head as I dip it. He does the same with Apollo, and once we stand, he hands us our scepters. We turn to face the room, the most enormous grins on our faces. The thrones behind us that once belonged to my mother and father will now belong to us.

I step forward, shoulder back. "People of Loam, behold your Queen and King. Together we stand, ready to rule. This is not an easy time for a power shift, but I promise you we will do everything in our power to keep you safe and the Court strong. Loam will come out on the other side better than ever."

The people cheer again, throwing lavender polosins into the air. Apollo takes my hand in his, guiding me back to our thrones. As the citizens celebrate, we take our seats.

A/N: well, the Prince and Princess are now the King and Queen. Holy cow! These two have come such a long way— and why am I acting like this is the end? There's still one more chapter! And after that, a whole new book!! So what are you waiting for? TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!