𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉 - 𝒟𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝑀𝑒𝓈𝓈𝒶𝑔𝑒

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin asked as we stood preparing for the battle.

"Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone?!" He continued, pointing to Lucy.

"It's our only chance." Peter replied "And she won't be alone." Susan added.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asked sadly.

"Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope," Trufflehunter said, "Queen Lucy hasn't, and neither have I.".

A sword unsheathing was heard on the other side of the room.

"For Aslan." Reepicheep said, holding his blade over his heart.

"For Aslan." A bear repeated.

"Then I'm going with you." Trumpkin disputed, "No, we need you here." Lucy replied, putting an arm on his shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Susan and Lucy get back." Peter said.

"If I may," Caspian cut in, giving the professor a look for reassurance, "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer," he continued, making me feel the sting of our father's betrayal.

"But as King he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people." Caspian mentioned, "There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"You can challenge him to a duel. He'll be too confident to decline and it'll buy us time and save valuable blood from being spilt." I explained. "You should send one of us to announce the challenge."

"Ed, you should go." Peter said, "We'll send two to go with you." he continued.

"Send me as well." I chimed in, "I know my uncle's tricks. I can help.".

Peter nodded, "Then you two will go, I'll write a message for Miraz for you to take."

I looked at Edmund and he flashed me a smile that made my heart melt.

After Peter wrote his challenge for Miraz, Edmund and I, along with a centaur and giant went bearing olive branches so we wouldn't be shot down, to deliver Peter's message.

As we approached the tent where Miraz and his fellow Telmarine lords sat I stopped and turned to look at Edmund.

"Your armor's crooked." I said, fixing the straps for him.

"Oh thanks." He replied, his face slightly flushed.

"Be prepared. I don't know what Miraz will try. He could try to intimidate you, or make you look weak." I warned.

Edmund shifted nervously.

"But uh- Don't worry. I'll be there with you." I said comfortingly.

We stepped into the tent and Miraz had a sly grin on his face.

"Ah! My little cursed niece (____), how have you been?" He asked, immediately trying to pit us against each other.

"Don't worry uncle they know, there's no trouble for you to cause. King Edmund and I have a message from High King Peter, the Magnificent." I answered.

Miraz nodded, "Well . . . get on with it.".

Edmund stretched out his scroll, "I, Peter, by gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnian, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat on the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender." He read, then rolled the scroll back up, smiling endearingly.

Miraz gave me a confused look, and I raised an eyebrow at him, to warn him not to be hesitant.

"Tell me Prince Edmund," he began, "King." Edmund interrupted.

"Pardon me?" Miraz asked, I shook my head. "It's 'King Edmund' actually. Just 'King' though. Peter's the High King." Edmund corrected.

Miraz stared at the both of us, "I know. It's confusing." Edmund said.

"But in terms of the challenge." I prompted, Miraz shifted in his seat"Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?" he asked.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?" Edmund asked, "I mean, only a week ago Narnians were 'extinct',"

I could tell my uncle was getting nervous.

"And so you will be again." Miraz said sternly, "Then you should have little to fear, uncle," I said.

Miraz laughed in response, "This is not a question of bravery, niece." He replied sternly.

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age." Edmund replied, feeling a new surge of confidence. I stifled a laugh as Miraz's advisors looked towards him.

"I didn't say I refused." Miraz answered leaning over the table. "You shall have our support, your majesty, whatever your decision." one man said, I smirked when Miraz's men clearly doubted him.

"Sire, our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid-" said a man I recognized as Lord Sopespian.

"I'm not avoiding anything!" Miraz snapped.

"I was merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse." Lord Sopespian finished.

"His majesty would never refuse." spoke up General Glowzelle, at the entrance of the tent, "He relishes the chance to show the people the courage of their new King." I was irritated that the General was helping my Uncle.

Edmund and I looked back at Miraz. "You." Miraz said, pointing his sword to Edmund, "You should hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen." he warned.

Edmund and I promptly left the tent hands intertwined, and we headed back to Aslan's How with the centaur and giant.

"How did I do?" Edmund asked, "You certainly got to my Uncle. That's a good sign." I laughed, thinking of my Uncle's face.

When we got back I looked around for Caspian and I found him in a chamber, staring down a hallway, the sound of hooves echoing through the walls.

"Susan and Lucy have left?" I asked, Caspian quickly spun around, startled. "Yes." He replied dazed.

I noticed Susan's horn in his hands, and his face slightly red. "Did she leave you a gift?" I asked, stepping towards him.

"She rather refused one."Caspian answered, looking down at the horn.

"Caspian you are smitten." I chuckled.

"What?" He retaliated.

"High Queen Susan, you adore her!" I replied, jokingly dragging out her full title.

"It's nothing. She's gone to look for Aslan."Caspian retorted, "And I could say the same about you and King Edmund.".

My face flushed, "That is none of your business." I stuttered. Caspian only gave a knowing smirk.

"Anyway, What did our Uncle say?" Caspian asked, changing the subject. "He's accepted out of embarrassment. We have to get ready for a duel." I answered.

Caspian nodded gravely. Miraz was older, but he had a few tricks up his sleeve.