15. Aeroplane

I wasn't paying attention on the drive back home. I'm glad Jungkook was able to compartmentalize his thoughts however he did, with what he was thinking, what he heard other people thinking, and paying attention to traffic. A stream of "money, sex, money, sex, cats" and traffic could be distracting. I just sat like a kid who didn't know anything about the mystical adult world of vehicle operation, and got transported around from one place to the next with no effort on my part. From the passenger seat reclined back I watched the pigeons on the ground, the pedestrians on the sidewalks walking past or into or out of buildings. He had turned the radio on and the music played softly in the background, set for more sensitive ears.

"Who is this?" I asked him.

He turned to look at me with a curious grin. "Not familiar?"

"No, is she from Seoul?"

"I think she's from the U.S. Started her career in Nashville. Haven't heard this song before? It's a few years old."

"I guess I'm out of it." I blushed a little. It's one thing to not be up with Korean culture. But to not know my own? Then again, maybe I got forgiven for not being aware of any relevant pop culture.

"I get to see your playlist some day, right?" he asked so sweetly it made me nervous, as though he had asked something personal. I nodded knowing he'd be able to see without having to turn his head or break his concentration on the road because I was afraid my voice would come out funny if I said something. "You can change the station if you like," he said, and I shook my head in reply.

"I get to hear your songs right, all of them? Sometime when I'm not falling asleep or hearing thousands of people scream along?" It was still hard for me to put his career in perspective when I was sitting next to him, or talking about homework or lunch or, well, his lunch. He nodded back. "Is that what we're doing tomorrow then? Are we going to the right side of HYBRID to see the performers? I get to hear you sing for real?"

"I should have planned your tour better instead of making you wait. I'm sorry. But I had something else planned for tomorrow, unless you'd prefer I change plans?"

"No, I wasn't making a request. Just wondering. So, do I get to know now what the plan for tomorrow is?" I was thinking his surprises might not always work out well if this morning was any indication. I had been thinking about Taehyung in the back of my mind all day long. And feeling guilty. But mostly I had put it out of my mind until I had time to think while I was alone.

Jungkook looked over to me and batted his eyelashes. He didn't even have to say anything. I groaned. "Okay, one more surprise. But after that...," he grinned triumphantly in response.

"Am I invited to spend the night?" he asked as he pulled into the parking lot of the apartment building. I was starting to wonder all this time if one of the spots had been reserved for him all along. Maybe as owners they would need a parking space.

I hesitated. "My dad?"

"We'll be fine, Aria," he said, leaving out the unnecessary details.

"All night?" I asked, uncertain. He nodded.

I couldn't help breaking out into a smile. I knew I was lucky that he enjoyed being around me. He might eventually change his mind, who knew exactly what reason was motivating him. Maybe he just wanted my attention to compete with Taehyung because of their rivalry. Oh good, new fear unlocked.

Most of the times Jungkook had been with me at home, and I realized that it was only a short time that I'd known him, we hadn't really been able to plan things out because of the way things just sort of happened. Having time and no schedule made me anxious. I was certain there would be something to do, I just wondered how personal and awkward it would get. We hadn't talked about the details of his life much. And thankfully he hadn't asked much about my life, not that there was much to tell.