ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟞: 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕧𝕠𝕪𝕤

Krishna's pov 

When the news of how the King of Madra, Shalya, Nakul and Sahadev's maternal uncle had been tricked into siding with the Kauravas reached Matsya, outrage spread like wildfire. Shalya came to visit Matsya soon afterwards, and requested a meeting.

Nakul and Sahadev were so hurt, they refused to meet him. At Bheem and the twins' insistence, Yudhishthir declared he had no desire of meeting Shalya, either, but Krishna cornered him.

"Go and have a word with him," he said quietly. "He was tricked. He did not switch out of free will. Show him you do not hold it against him--you never know when a bit of goodwill might come in handy, jyesht."

Yudhishthir obeyed.

"Look, Parth," Krishna couldn't resist saying. "You can advice your elder brothers sometimes, and they might listen."

"I am not, er, wise like you, Madhav," said Arjun.

"For calling me wise, I will grant you a boon."

"It was sarcastic--but I'll have the boon," said Arjun. "I want--I want--"

"Honestly," said Krishna, "you need that long to think of a wish?"

"I don't wish for anything when you are around," said Arjun, sounding struck. "It is when you are away that I crave for so many things in the world."

Krishna grinned. "In that case, it might be said I am your world."

"Yeah, well," Arjun snorted, "I thought that was obvious, Madhav."

The following dawn, an envoy from the Kauravas appeared in the form of Sanjaya, who announced he bore a message from King Dhritarashtra. The Pandavas and their allies gathered in court to hear.

"He sends you his good wishes. He is undeniably grieved by the wrongs done to you, his brother's sons, and has not forgotten your military prowess. He, however, expresses full faith in you, Yudhishthir, in achieving peace. He advises you not to start the war."

Krishna glanced at Yudhishthir. The peace-lover inside their king had started stirring; he was good at keeping his face impassive, but it was hard to hide anything from Krishna, in general.

"The war would cause terrible destruction," said Sanjaya, "it would wipe out generations, and nobody would emerge the winner, Yudhishthir."

Satyaki instantly shot to his feet. Arjun caught his wrist in restraint. Krishna gave the latter a long, searching look. He was not sure if Arjun was convinced about the war even now. Almost everyone among their allies was. Outwardly, Arjun was, too.

But was he convinced, inside?

Somehow, Krishna could not be sure. 

There were more pressing issues at the moment; Yudhishthir's tone was uncertain as he spoke.

"No one wishes for a war, but our side has a just cause."

Krishna gave him an encouraging nod.

Yudhishthir's voice got stronger. "You know, sir, Tatshree has been favouring Duryodhan's dishonour all our lives. He is leading a luxurious life even as he condones wrongs. There is no way we will pull out with our cousins aiming for total domination. We are ready to forget the past, but our Indraprastha must be returned."

"It is my opinion the evil of war must be prevented at all costs, even at the cost of your kingdom. Is that not what your knowledge of dharma says?"

"Dharma is times of trouble is not the same as normal dharma." Yudhishthir looked at Krishna, uncertain again. "I will abide by your advice, Madhav."