ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟠: 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣

Krishna's pov

Over the fortnight leading up to the first day of war, new allies arrived at Matsya every day. Training camps had been set up all over the kingdoms to train each of the akshouhinis. Their spies brought over news from Hastinapur, and other undoubtedly took their news to Hastinapur, too.

The venue was fixed, by mutual consent, as Kurukshetra.

Every time someone mentioned the name, Krishna saw bloodstained sand. Horses, elephants and humans, mutilated and drowning in blood, strewn all over. Then the specific faces floated into his vision.

Children, brothers, uncles, nephews, in-laws, friends to Arjun.

Krishna always traced them back to Arjun. Even when he saw Bheem and Draupadi's son, dead, he would think, Arjun's nephew.

By now, he had got used to it. He loved several mortals with his heart, but his soul, the essence that transcended time and defined an individual, belonged to only one. The only one for whom he forgot the principles of his very existence.

As long as Arjun had something to lose from the world, Krishna would not have peace.

***

The news came that the Kauravas had appointed Bhisma their commander arrived one day over lunch. It was not a surprise. Dejection seeped into the postures of all five of the Pandava brothers, nevertheless. Krishna nudged Arjun, who was sitting beside him. Arjun shook his head and excused himself with half his food uneaten.

"Arjun!" Bheem started to get up.

"Let him be alone for a bit, Bheem," said Yudhishthir. "You too, Madhav."

Krishna, who had risen as well, sat down. He did not exactly support the concept of giving space when it came to Arjun--he intruded upon Arjun's space more than anyone could--but he respected Yudhishthir's opinions.

A couple of hours later, it was converged upon that they must appoint their commander without delay, as well. Yudhishthir asked his brothers and Krishna for suggestions, but Sahadev said they needed to include Arjun in this.

So they barged into Arjun's room without bothering to knock. Arjun straightened up and try to wipe his eyes on his sleeve discreetly. Not discreetly enough.

"What is the matter, jyesht?"

Arjun's teary voice tended to make Krishna's world go dull.

"We must have a discussion about our commander," said Yudhishthir in a quiet sort of voice. "Have you thought of anyone?"

"Shikandi, of course," said Bheem. "Pitamah has vowed not to attack him because...well, because he was once a woman."

"King Drupad," said Nakul, "is a deadly warrior, though."

"King Virata," said Sahadev. "He took us in and supported us for the most difficult year of our life."

Yudhishthir looked at Arjun.

"Well, personally I think Drishtadyumna would be the best choice," said Arjun, who had great admiration for his brother-in-law. "His brain works so fast, he gets all his thinking done before every action in a duel."

"All your points hold merit," said Yudhishthir. "Madhav, who do you think would be the best--?"

"Drishtadyumna," said Krishna without hesitation. "Thanks to his, as Arjun said, sharp-wittedness. It would take a lot to rattle him even in the direst of situations."

"Excuse me, Madhav," put in Bheem. "If Arjun had opted for Shikandi, would you have found Shikandi's power over Pitamah more important than Drish's quick wit?"