I have... (Spring 8)

VIII.

"The moons are bright tonight," Elise said wistfully. Madoka looked up and saw that it was true. Each was as big as a full raindrop, the gold and cold azure moons hung quite low in the sky. "Doka, why are there two moons?"

"P-please, Your Highness," Madoka blushed at the nickname. "Do not call me that."

"Awh, you are no fun," the princess whined. A somber tone carried itself beneath her playfulness. Madoka wondered, as only a slave could, what could possibly be going through her mind. Was it regret? Was it the future? She dared not think of it now. "Why are there two moons?"

"I'm sure your Father has told you why," Madoka teased. "And you gave him the same look you give me on the kind gods."

"It's not like I," Princess Fiara sighed. "It's not like I don't believe they exist. Prophecies and magic happen, it's just, my mind can't comprehend the vagueness. Tell me anyway. Under these full moons, I'm quite nostalgic tonight."

"Nostalgic?"

"Oh, ahh, just thinking of the past, better days," the princess said, covering her eyes. Her lips quivered for a moment. "You know. Probably weren't as carefree to you chasing after me."

"I am content with however many days I have with you," Madoka said without thinking, but covered her mouth before she spoke more on her own feelings.

"Really?!" Elise spoke up, she looked happy with the response. "I don't want to say it will all make sense, because I don't want to have you worry."

She spoke softly as she continued her next words.

"I don't want the future to happen at all. It's hard to believe that Spring's nearly over. Let its color refill, go back to the start..."

Elise yawned. Madoka didn't know what to do. So she cleared her throat.

"Long ago," Madoka recited the Tale of Two Sisters. "There were two Sisters who longed for the Sun and each begged the Sun to see themselves more than the other."

She felt the princess's warm cheek resting on her shoulder. Elise was certainly asleep.

"The Sun's God was heartbroken over the Sister's constant scheming against each other, so it forced the pair to be locked together in a dance. What it did not expect was for the Sisters to fall back in love with each other and now watch the two in passing..."

A snore escaped the princess's mouth, making Madoka smile. She made that all up, but it seemed like it did the trick. She gazed outside as she's done many times. She was restless and couldn't sleep. Perhaps this is the youthful energy Elise mentioned. She decided. Tonight's the night she will fulfill her promise to Leopride.

It was still pouring.

Madoka's dull practice sword glinted in the rain. Tonight was a special night. She was alone with her thoughts. All she had were her forms and her strength, sometimes she wondered if it was enough.

She felt something, in between the cracks of worrying about getting caught by someone and freedom, despite both unknowns she figured she could get away with her session. Each slash split the raindrops in two, sending a sheen of droplets from the edge of her dull, practice blade.

Each form she did brought questions to her mind, for Madoka might not be smart but she was always thinking.

Why?

An infuriating question. She was getting drenched, but the flame inside her kept her warm. It was not good for her to be out in the pouring rain, but how else will she drown out the noise within her own head?

First form - a breath and a falling slash with force and quickness of a comet, then return the blade to its sheathe after another slash. Why does she think of me like an equal? She had friends, perhaps, in her days at the Palace there were plenty of young noble ladies. Why, then, would she choose a slave like me?

Second form - a dodge backwards then a quick slice upward and back to the first form. Her sword embedded itself in one of the stone formations, crunching as it crumbled into pieces. She withdrew it, unsatisfied, then performed the second form again on another rock. Why can I hear the thoughts of animals? Madoka was again mystified at the strange ability. A passing owl outside the window looking for food in the fields kept her awake in her room. She also knew no big predators were around the mansion. What was happening to her?

Third form - catching the wind and riding the current with a smooth slice. Unpredictable and quick as lightning. She would go back into the second form, then to the first form. Why does she feel the way she does towards the princess? Why does she want to believe in her strange tales? Frustration built up in her soul, welling up out to her arms and feet.

"I want to believe in her!" She shouts into the wind. "Let them be true!"

Final form - a lone and desperate sweep, held by quivering hands. Steam evaporated off of her skin, yet her breathing was even. Quickly, she reverted back to the third form, only for her blade to hit nothing. Madoka looked at her sword thinking she missed.

To her surprise at the click of the sheath echoing with the rain, all the stone formations lay shattered beneath her feet.