Chapter 1: Hero

[Prologue: Who Am I?]

"Oh, before you go, this is yours to have." A memory, one that I have no context for. A shame, as this is the only memory anyone has of me as a child before I met them.

My eyes opened to a strange girl with goggles and brown hair looking down at me with a concerned look. Behind her in the room is a male with blonde hair and piercing eyes

"Hey, are you okay?" A woman says she has a pair of glasses on over her brown eyes. Her hair is also brown and tied back into a ponytail.

What? Where am I? What happened?

"Kid, where are your parents?" She questions, troubled.

Parents? I never had parents. But... where... where did I come from?

"What district are you from? What's your name?"

Name... wait... I can remember that.

"M-Marcel..." Those are the first words I can remember saying.

"Marcel... huh. Well, Marcel. I'm Hange Zoe. Now, can you tell me where are you from?"

"Sh... shin... shingan... I can't remember fully."

A man speaks up having been behind me his hair is blonde and his look of seriousness is kind of scary. "Shinganshina District. So you were there when the colossal attacked."

"Colossal? I... I'm sorry but the last thing I remember is being with miss Sophie at the orphanage. Um.. miss Hange? Where am I?" I asked.

"You're with the scouts Marcel. Erwin, can we speak for a moment?" Hange answers my question, before looking at the blonde man.

"I don't see why not. Commander is looking around Trost District right now."

Both Hange and Erwin exit the room closing the door. I look around at the fancy room. I stand up feeling the need to stretch when I do a paper drops from my shirt. I grab it before looking the paper over. I open it and read it. I, however, don't get to finish when the door opens and the pair return.

Hange stands behind a sofa in front of me. "What do you have there, Marcel?"

I don't look at her as I feel a strange liquid makes its way down my face. I then feel a warm embrace envelop me as Hange holds me when she looks at Erwin. He nods briefly and she lifts me, to take me out of the room. That was how I met the scouts. A year and a half ago. Now I'm eleven years old. Only two more before I join the Cadets. And then I'll join big sis and the others as a scout.

The scouts will be leaving tomorrow and because of that, those who aren't squad leaders are allowed to have the day off. I'm currently racing around the Scouts' HQ looking for someone.

"Oi! Zoe, where are you headed?" Oluo shouts from his table drinking tea.

"Oluo! Do you know where Petra is?" I ask peering up at the man.

"Petra? Yeah, she's at the stables."

I nod and turn to run off. "Thank you!" I hurry over and open the door to the stables just as I hear a door close. "Petra!"

Turning her head I see the bright glowing eyes of my best friend. Petra Ral. She smiles at me and I return the favor before quickly catching my bearings and ask her the question I came here for.

"Oh, right. Can I join you today? I want to go to Trost district. I'm Uh... a bit embarrassed to say this, but I want to get something for big sis and Commander Erwin."

Petra smiles. "You sure?"

I grin, and look at Petra. "Yes."

Petra smiles. "Then climb on." I hurry over and climb onto her horse as the two of us ride for Trost my arms wrapped around her during the journey. "Say, Mar. When you join the scouts how about after your first expedition I treat you to something nice?"