♪ 10: Truce ♪

After getting the cue, she entered the enormous space with a thudding heart. It was not a cabin, that word would do it no justice. The clean interior and shiny surfaces, the expensive artwork on the walls, nothing she wouldn't expect from the space designated for the owner of Jahan. Her eyes roamed around and settled on a nervous but equally excited Ajwa. Nawar and Sahira stood next to her. Both of them gave her a genial smile which Sila returned. Faran and Adan Jahangir were also there and some other people she had never seen or met before. And in the middle of the room, on the main office chair, Faseeh Jahangir was seated. He nodded in her way without any hostility but his expression changed drastically when he saw behind her. Sila craned her neck. Aahil sighed as he stood leaning against the wall. Well, that explained a lot.

"Sila Nouraiz," Faseeh pointed to the chair in front of him. "Have a seat."

She did as she was told. The initial shock had subsided. She was the picture of professionalism; alert and focused.

"My apologies for the short notice but we had to be quick." Faseeh began. Sila intertwined her fingers on the table. Her demeanor wouldn't give anything away but beneath it, her bouncing leg was the only indication of her nervousness. Professionalism aside, she was in a direct conversation with one of the biggest tycoons of not just this city but the whole country.

"Jahan is the official host of ACHC this year." He announced with a triumphant smile on his face. ACHC; the Asian Culture and Heritage conference was one of the most prominent annual international events in the city. It included people at both regional and global scales. It was a golden opportunity to promote cultural diversity. Delegates and artists from different Asian countries would visit and perform. Seeing the scope, the event demanded heavy sponsorship and for the last decade, it had been a rope-pulling between Jahangir and Jatoi groups to get the hosting rights for it. Sometimes, the ball will land in Jatoi's court and other times, Jahangirs would grab the deal. For the last three years, Jatois had the upper hand, though. By Faseeh's declaration, it seemed like the streak had finally broken.

"As soon as we had the deal signed, I called Ajwa to discuss things with her. I wanted the best in the city to manage this event for Jahan. Seeing your record, you guys are apt for the job."

Faseeh's praise felt like a confidence boost. Both Sila and Ajwa shared a look. They were going to manage ACHC this year? They really hadn't thought of it, not in their wildest dreams.

"Ajwa is here since the morning. She specifically mentioned you. Jahan's event coordinators and AJ's team will work together to put on an event never seen before for ACHC."

His enthusiasm was contagious. Everyone looked pumped by the idea. Sila nodded his way. "We will give our all to it, sir."

"I expected nothing less." He smiled and looked around. His eyes landed on his youngest son and they hardened, not with annoyance or indignation, but with determination. "You." He pointed at Aahil who grumbled under his breath. Everyone along with Sila was now attentive toward him.

"You will make yourself of use. I want you involved in everything. No excuses and no performances. Consider this a warning, Aahil. You've caused—"

Before he could say further, Faran placed a hand on his shoulder. "He will, Baba. You don't have to worry."

Faseeh's reply was a grumble identical to Aahil's. Sila sensed tension between the father-son duo. You wouldn't expect a businessman of Faseeh Jahangir's caliber to lose his calm that too on his own son in front of literal strangers.

"Back to work, everyone. Keep in mind: We go all out and give our best to this event."

As soon as he words left his mouth, everyone scrambled to get out of the office. Sila slung her bag on her shoulder and gestured to Ajwa. They needed to discuss it. An event of this scale couldn't be managed without proper planning on every front. Her eyes darted toward Aahil. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. There was more to this but she was here for her work and that's what she intended to get done.