TWENTY-SIX

NAIVE TO A FAULT

"What do you mean you have Kang Yohan now?"

Gaon looks at Soohyun's furious face. She's held on for so long because she believed in Gaon. That he will not be stupid and believe in Yohan. But now she realised Gaon was not just stupid, he was naive to a fault.

"What makes you think Kang Yohan will help you?"

"Because he likes me."

Soohyun frowns."what?"

"And I like him too. We're kind of in the phase of courting."

Soohyun felt unbelievable. She looks at Gaon with betrayed eyes. "You know Gaon, you're too stupid."

"Soohyun ah. I know he's not someone I should trust. And I also remember why I'm there with him in the first place. But I don't know. After being there, with him, his family, I realised he has this soft and gentle and warm side he doesn't show to anyone. He's also someone who needs comfort. He's different. He's not how we thought he is."

Soohyun scoffs again. "Yeah. And you fell for that pretense! I wonder who made you a detective and how in the world did you get the reputation of being an unstoppable detective!"

Soohyun shakes her head. Just moments ago she was panicking worrying that something would happen to Gaon. She didn't even realise that the rabbit has already sacrificed itself in the fox's den.

"Soohyun ah. Please trust me. You know I wouldn't do anything that worries you, right?"

"Except you keep doing everything that worries me. The irony, I swear."

Gaon sighs. He understands Soohyun. Her fears. She knows how Gaon can get when he has nowhere to back down. She's seen him closely from when he's lost his parents till now. And Gaon knows that Soohyun means well. But he couldn't find any reasons to back out from what he started.

He knew, that no matter the consequences he has to get to the bottom of this.

Suddenly Gaon remembers why his best friend called him to come here.

"Soohyun ah. You said you have something to give to me."

Soohyun looks at him puzzled. Then slowly it came to her. "Yeah, right."

She pulls out a thumb drive from her lab coat pocket and handed it to Gaon.

"This has the recordings of the conversations of Hong Dojin with his visitors from the last whole month. I thought it'll be helpful with your investigation." Then she sighs. "I recorded his conversation with Im Guyeong and Jung Seonah in my phone because I've already took out the recorder to copy it to the thumb drive. But that witch broke my phone."

Gaon's eyes lit up. He didn't believe that Hong Dojin would believe anyone to talk about any shady business, but this was already a lead. He took the thumb drive and put it in his pocket.

"Thanks Soohyun ah."

Soohyun sighs again.

"Look Gaon ah. I know you wouldn't listen to me. But please be careful with whatever you do."