16

HE WAS asking me to marry him. In his apartment.

He flat-out said that he wanted to marry me for the baby. He wanted to take responsibility for the child in my womb. It wasn't supposed to make me giddy and the burst of butterflies in my stomach shouldn't have happened. But it did. All the emotions in my chest exploded in a wave of glitters and rainbows that they rippled through my body.

I shouldn't be feeling anything. This was just a convenient agreement between us. No love included— that word was clearly excluded in the narrative. We were doing this for the child. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The ring on my finger glint through the fluorescent light illuminating the room. The thick air sunk into every pore of my skin, crawling and eliciting the most dangerous feeling of humankind: hope.

No.

I should not be hoping for him.

I tried to push that off my head and looked at Garrett instead. Even though it was so hard to look at him right now without feeling the crackling of the fire in my chest, I still gazed at him as if he grew another head.

"A-are you sure, Garrett?" I asked, still feeling the qualm in this situation, "You know that marriage is a serious discussion. I don't want to trap you in a situation you'll regret sooner or later."

His gaze on me darkened, "Why would I regret it?"

There was a nibbling sensation perched on my chest and I wanted to burst the questions nagging in my head.

What if Lia gets back? What will you do?

What if she gets back and you are already married to me? You won't get your chance on her— though I knew that Bellamy won't let anyone get Lia. For sure, when my sister got back, he won't let her go ever again.

But without putting Bellamy in the equation or my pregnancy for that matter, I was certain that Garrett won't have a second thought— he'll crawl back to her instantly.

Just thinking about it made my chest constrict painfully. I knew that Garrett having feelings for me was wishful thinking.

"W-what if you'll like someone else and since you are married to me—" my speech was interrupted when Garrett put his pointer finger across my lips.

"Shush now, little fire," he closed the distance between us, and the broad breadth of his chest grazed against my chest.

A fire of unadulterated sensation started to eat every sense in my body as I melt under his mesmerizing dark gaze lingering on my face. Garrett was so close I could smell his masculine scent— woodsy and a hint of cinnamon. From my vantage point, I got lost in the chasm as I looked at his hard and sharp features. With lips so red, the upper lip was thinner than the bottom and his nose was so straight as if it had been carved by a famous sculpture.

His eyes. Two pools of devoid emotions. Cold expression. So cold and so blank I got lost every time I stared at them.

"When I said that I want to marry you, I already turned my back on the possibility of romance with other people," he tipped my chin up using the pointer finger he just used to shut me up, "I will just devote my whole attention to my baby,"

My lips quivered as I looked him in the eyes. Slowly, my eyes traveled to the sexy lips I'd yet to taste. He had fucked me using his fingers and mouth and tongue and I had his cock inside my mouth but I hadn't kissed those lips yet.

"Say yes, Lilith," he urged softly as he slipped his thumb in my parted lips, "Say yes before I lost my patience and shove my cock in your warm mouth, little fire."