1-Heartless

NADIA WARREN

Its very funny how one's life can change in only a minute. You ever get that feeling where your supposed to be extremely sad and miserable, but your just standing there like nothing happened?

Yeah, well that's how I felt when we were urgently called to my grandmothers hospital, and then found out she passed away half an hour ago. My grandma had breast cancer, and she's been suffering from it almost 7 months now

We hadn't really expected her to die this soon, but no can do I guess. I stood there when the doctor was talking with us, while my aunt and my brother Kareem sob into tears. My dad was all shaken
and couldn't even see correctly.

I would do the same if my mother was dea- oh wait a minute, she already is. How funny.

But me? I was just standing there waiting for everyone to stop crying. I'm not heartless or anything, I just haven't cried for a long time.

Really really long time.

I sigh, as I watch my brother act like a complete baby, hugging my aunt so hard the woman can't breathe anymore. Yk be completely honest, me and grandma never had a good relationship with each other.

Not only did she always favorite my brother, but she never showed any love towards me, the exact opposite of my mother. It used to be hard for me to believe that she was my mothers mom, since they were the exact opposite.

She also was never really an emotional person, rather like me. She didn't even cry when she found out she had cancer.

Neither did you Naida- I know.

After my dad handles all the paper work about the funeral issues and stuff, we all decide to to head back home. It was really late since they called us just before midnight. I look out the window trying to watch the starts peacefully, but mister I-can't-live without-grandma, isn't letting me.

I sigh. "Kareem either you stop crying or i swear I'm going to kick you out if the car" i say as I turn to him. He looks at me for a solid second, then continues sniffling like a baby.

This was going to be a long long night.

☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾☾
We arrive home a few minutes later, as I get in quickly and skip my shoes off. Kareem goes straight to his room without saying a word. Damn, I didn't know he got this affected.

Or maybe I'm just heartless?

I start walking upstairs, but then stop half way when I hear my aunt and dad talking lowering their voices.
"Are you sure about your decision Harrison?" My aunt asks. My dad let's out a big shaky breath. "Dina, I don't want to stay here anymore, you know the only reason we came here was your mom, and now she just isn't here" he says.

"It's not going to be the same without her, have you even seen Kareem? The boy's miserable. I haven't seen him this sad since Dalia's death" I lower my eyes,when I hear my mothers name.

"Your right, I just don't know how we're gonna break it to the kids" my aunt says. Break what to us? "Kareem will agree with us, it's Nadia I'm worried about" my dad replies.

Can someone please tell me why they're worried about me? I sigh, not wanting to hear anything else about this nonsense. They'll probably tell us tomorrow or something.

I go up to my room, and decide to take a shower. It's been a hella of a long night, and all I want to do is take a shower with my new bath and body works shower gel I just got yesterday. Not to mention that I needed to wash my hair as soon as possible or else it was going to be tangled for the rest of the week,

Cons of having extra curly hair.

I was kinda acting a bit to normal for a girl who just found out her grandmother is dead. Well, who cares. I go inside my bathroom, and start taking off my clothes to get in the hot shower. I step in a few minutes later and let the hot water run through my body.

I accidentally switch the water to cold water with my left hand, and jump at the sudden change of heat. "Shit" I mutter.

Cold showers remind me of him.

I turn the hot water back on as all my muscles relax. Thank god tomorrow was Friday, I couldn't stand school after this whole "incident". I get out of the shower and starts doing my skincare. I find skincare one of the most important parts of my life.

Taking care of my skin not only makes me feel clean physically but also mentally. To be honest just good hygiene itself is a huge turn-on for me.

That's why I find myself so hot yk.

After I'm done with my skincare, I wear my pajamas and step back into my room. I turn on my led lights and grab my phone from my desk. Just as I was going through Pinterest for some new painting inspiration, I hear my brother from the next room.

He was crying, I could hear him. But he was trying to keep it low. Like he was holding himself from crying. Me and my twin brother were the complete opposite to be fair. He was emotional, I wasn't. He was good in school, I wasn't. He was grandmas favorite, I wasn't.

And although I had no type of feelings towards anyone, my brother was an exception. I would kill for him just to see him smile. I sigh, as I walk towards my bedroom door, and walk through the long corridor connecting our rooms.

I quickly knock and enter without him even letting me know I could come in. He was sitting on his bed, his feet curled up towards his lap and his head in between his knees.

He lifts his head just a bit for our eyes to meet. I hold my head smiling sadly. I start walking towards his bed, and then sit next to him, as I pull him into a hug. He gladly hugs me back tightly, as I run my fingers in his hair. My mom always used to do that to him when he couldn't sleep.

"Hey buddy" I say softly. I wait for his sobs to end. I could say Kareem was rather an over emotional person for a 19-year-old-smarty pants-hockey-player, but he was also just Kareem.

He pulls away sniffling, and keeping his eyes down. "I just can't believe she's gone" he says as if he can't believe the woman died while she was fucking 89. The woman lived a lot, it was time anyway. But of course, I couldn't say that out loudly or else heaven knows she would curse me from above.

I ruffle my hands through his hair once again. "It's ok Kareem, I'm sure she's watching you from heaven wanting you to stop crying just like I do" I say trying to cheer him up. But the look on his face said that I wasn't really good at the whole cheering up thing.

I sigh getting up from his bed. "Get some sleep baby bro, you need it" I say as he groans. "I'm not your baby bro just because you were born 3 minutes before me" he says as I walk towards his door.

I turn around to face him. "First off, it wasn't just 3 minutes, it was 3 minutes and 12 seconds, second of all, you'll always be my baby bro" I blow him a kiss as we both cringe.

"Oh by the way, I heard Dina and dad talking g about something they wanted to tell us?" I say. He smiles. "Oh they've already told me, it's you they've been waiting on" I frown.

I exit his room, as I start walking back to mine, but my aunt stops me halfway.

"Nadia darling, we have to talk"

Shit.