|4

C H L O E ' S P O V

C H L O E ' S P O V

FINISHING MY HAIR, I HEAD OUT OF THE BATHROOM where an impatient Miriam was waiting outside, hands on her hip as a loc of curly blonde hair falls onto her face.

"You took so long in there! Have you not learned how to be a considerate roomate or not?" she complained.

"Girl I was in there for 30 minutes so you cannot be complaining," I tell her, before heading toward my bed and grabbing my purse and Bible. Walking out of the dorm and using the elevator to go downstairs to the building, I pull my phone out to call Talita, her picking up on the first ring.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK CHLOE! I called you last night at least 20 times and texted with no answer from you at all," her voice screams into the phone as I pull it away from my ear. "Do you know how worried I was for you? Even Kareem was wondering where you were."

"I just-"

"You just what Chloe? You left because he got benched? There is something you're hiding from me and you're still not telling me."

"Look, I just called to tell you I'm ready for church and I'm outside your dorm building. Unless you want to continue this conversation while I'm back in my dorm?"

She lets out a long sigh and murmurs something under her breath before answering. "I'll be down there in a few minutes let me just grab my Bible."

Hearing a click, I open my messages to see one from Kareem and after debating whether or not I should open it, I did.

Kareem

I'm sorry C.

sent 10:57

That's what he always says, my mind whispered. And yet you still end up getting scars all over you.

But what if he's really sorry?

Do you think he can change? He's shown you he can't so why don't you break up with him already? My mind hissed.

"C'mon Micheal and Kareem are picking us up at the bus stop," Talita announces as I realize she'd finally come downstairs. "Hey, you good or what?"

"I-I'm fine. Let's just go," I tell her. Talita talks the whole walk there as my mind zones out, my breathing becoming more shallow as we reach the bus stop and I see Kareem's black Honda. Why did he have to be going to church with us too?

"Y'all get inside before we get late," Micheal says, getting out of the front seat to sit with Talita in the back while Kareem opened my door. I paste a smile on my face, although my emotions scream otherwise. Finally, once we had all buckled up, the drive starts with Talita and Micheal already immersed in conversation while I and Kareem sat awkwardly in the front.