|26

C H L O E ' S P O V

C H L O E ' S P O V

KAREEM RUNS HIS HAND THROUGH HIS HAIR while I wait for his response, the butterflies in my stomach flying around. Finally, a deep sigh comes out from him as he turns to me.

"Well?" My nervousness rises as I watch him, waiting for his answer.

"You're right. I- We can't keep this a secret forever right?"

His words were far from convincing, his face frowning with a flicker of fear in his eyes. He ignores my gaze and instead focuses on the windshield, staring out on the street. His hands tightened their hold on the driving wheel and it's only when we reach a red light that I finally break the tension.

"Kareem-"

His eyes meet mine and it's only then that I see the true fear reflected in his brown eyes. The more he stared, the more glassy they became before he looked away before speaking up.

"I failed you, Chloe." His usual confident voice is gone, fear and brokennes in its tone. My heart aches, my brows furrowing sligthly.

"Ka-"

"Don't. We both know I did. I wasn't the guy you deserved at all. And facing-" he gulps, his hand quickly wiping his eyes in a swift motion before holding on tightly to the steering wheel, his knuckles becoming white. "Facing all those people and telling them how- I- it shows the ugly monster that I was to you, it's just-" He doesn't finish his sentence, the both of us already knowing what he was going to say.

The blanket of silence that envelops the car is quickly interrupted by the beeping of a car, causing the both of us to jerk as Kareem presses his foot on the gas. We continue to stay silent as he weaves his way through the streets before finally entering my neighborhood. Christmas decorations decorate every door, some already hanging colorful lights that brighten up the dreary weather, contrasting greatly with our mood. Then finally, he parks right outside my home, stopping the car.

"You were a monster."

Kareem turns to me at my statement as I continue on, taking a deep breath and looking down at my hands before looking at him. "You were a monster, Kareem. But that was old you. That was the you before Him."

"Still-"

"Still nothing. Kareem, I've forgiven you. I have. But the reason I have- I need to tell my parents and you have to tell yours is because we need to heal. And we can't heal if-"

A warm hand is placed over mine, a firm but gentle grip holding it. A softness comes on Kareem's face, easing his eyebrows and the creases that came with his frown. He slightly nods, one of understanding, warmth filling his brown eyes.

That's the Kareem I knew.

My head leaned on his shoulder, something he doesn't jerk at, and the smell of his cologne tempted my senses. Heat rushed through my body as I focused my attention on those outside, my eyes darting from Kareem's gaze. Outside, the streetlights flickered on and cars and people began to enter into homes, some in work uniforms and others holding heavy bags most likely filled with gifts that would soon be wrapped and put around a tree. The night sky began to darken more and more as the minutes went by, reminding me of just how long a day it was. My eyelids were enticing the idea of just closing and falling asleep in the warm car, not wanting to step out int the cold.