⚜️4⚜️ - Long Nights

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Are you forgetting which kingdom has more manpower and in whose mercy you are in right now?"

I shuffled backwards with my lips caught between my teeth. A mere commoner and a murderer at that rising to power so suddenly... The power trip must had gotten to his head, but my blood was boiling that there was truth in his words. Simply threatening him with the prospect of war would be futile. I had to come up with a stronger plan to escape this place.

An usurper who killed the entire royal family would not hesitate to kill another royal.

On top of that, our manpower was scarce compared to his. If a war happened, both sides would suffer insurmountable damages but our kingdom would suffer more and had less chances of victory. Even though Wisterean would experience countless deaths, I doubted the man before me would care about a single corpse. A man who had nothing to lose was more dangerous to go against.

He smirked at me with a smug look. I bit my lips harder and tasted blood when my teeth ripped the skin.

"I'm not serious, Princess." He smiled and stepped towards me. "I actually prefer a good relationship between Leovalon and Wisterean. Your interest and my interest actually align."

"If you may, I still implore you to send us back," I urged. Although my purpose of visiting was still unfulfilled, my priority changed to the safety of my people. My knights were injured and my attendants were not safe.

He rubbed his chin as if pondering and looked at me. "For the night, why don't you rest? We'll discuss more tomorrow."

My eyebrows twitched. He was planning to drag on my stay but I could not argue. My body was aching in every inch and it was so deep into the night that the sun could rise any minute. My head was pounding and I was frowning to keep my heavy eyes open.

He bowed and smiled. "Rest well, Princess."

I held my hand behind me, taken aback for a moment. While I was speechless, he strode away to the door before briefly stopping and turning around.

"I don't know your name. What is it, Princess?"

I had a bitter taste in my mouth and it took me a long time to roll the letters off my tongue. "Bada."

He nodded. "You must like the sea, then?"

Before I could insult him, he walked away and disappeared out of the door. As soon as I was alone in the dark room that stretched far and wide, I let out a long sigh that drew out all my energy that was keeping me together. The floor pulled my knees but I dragged my feet across to drop myself in my room at least as a royalty.

The hallway was silent. Not a single breath. Not a single shuffle. The blue moonlight and the yellow torch lights illuminated the swarm of bodies laying around. Blood painted the whole hallway in ghastly red. My eyes kept slipping as I tried to see my way around them. My hands never separated from my nose as the pungent stench of death filled the air, forcing me to spill my guts.

The walk to my bed chambers was longer than any walk I had.

Once I opened the door, exhaustion and reality crashed down on me. In truth, it was fortunate that we were spared.

I could no longer hold myself up and dropped to the ground but two arms held me before I collapsed.

"Princess!" Sunghoon cried out. His thick eyebrows were knotted in distress and his face was marred with scratches and wounds now that I could see him closer.