⚜️9⚜️ - Waves of Change

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

Many years had passed.

I was already at the end of my twenties and same for Jin. Years after years, we spent our lives in different chambers, only meeting for a short time every now and then. Efforts to improve the citizens' living conditions continued to be made, but despite that, the direction of most resources was to this castle according to the King's order.

Through time, Jin grew colder and colder, more and more drunk on the power that followed his title and crown. His expression was always stoic and his eyes were black marbles devoid of light.

Yesterday, there was another banquet and this morning, one of the guests was imprisoned for daring to oppose him in one of their conversations. The trial would soon take place and then the execution would follow.

I had grown apathetic to these events.

"Do you think the King is going to get rid of the Queen consort soon?"

I paused in my tracks.

"Of course. Maybe His Majesty already has a lover and has no interest in the Queen consort." The maids whispered among themselves. "Why else would they still not be married? There must be something wrong with the Leovalon Princess."

"How dare they?!" The head maid fumed and apologized to me before running off to berate them.

"Your Highness!" They all dropped to the ground, bowing when they saw me.

I did not heed them attention and continued walking to the throne room with the other maids. Although insolent, they had a point. After all these years, we still had not made our marriage official. Jin was already quite capable in terms of education and we were way past the normal ages of marriage.

Perhaps he did have a lover...

But it was of no significance to me. Our relationship was surface-level. I also held negative impressions of him through the years that only seemed to grow.

I arrived in front of the door and debated whether I should go in or not. I had not requested for audience with Jin but around this time of the day, he was not too busy. I had been putting off asking him to let me travel to Leovalon. It was getting too much for me to bear. My parents, the King and Queen were always asking about my marriage through letters and I heard their healths had not been well lately.

"Your Majesty, this is detrimental to the future of the kingdom!"

I widened my eyes and went closer to the door. Was Jin discussing something very important with his advisors?

"Please bless the kingdom with an heir soon!"

I gasped internally and my hand flew up to my mouth.

"Everyone is worried sick, Your Majesty! Not only are you not officially married, the lack of heirs to carry on the throne is disastrous!"

"The Queen consort's well-being and wishes are more important," Jin yelled.

"If the Queen consort is infertile, we beseech you to take in a concubine for the future of the kingdom, Your Majesty!"

I gritted my teeth and clenched the material of my dress. The audacity of these men. Concubine? I was not infertile. We had never gone close to doing such acts, let alone kiss.

"We beg of you, Your Majesty!" They all wailed and it made my ears hurt.

"Enough! Leave right now!"

Thuds and shuffles sounded after Jin's burst of anger and I hurried to leave from there as well before they caught a glimpse of me. Forgetting my initial reason, the matters of an heir were what concerned me since then.

Jin had shut them down but while meeting me, he actually asked for my opinion about having an heir to the throne soon.

Indignant, I refused strongly.

"Find yourself a concubine for whatever I care!" I snapped at him.

What were we?

I hated him and he had little to no thoughts about me. We were not married but we were engaged. For many years now.

I was getting more and more lost in my head every day.

"Bada."

I snapped out of my thoughts and saw Jin walking towards me from the other side of the hallway.

"Greetings, Your Majesty," I said and bowed.

When he reached me, he took off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. "You're dressed thinly. It's getting colder these days."

I clenched the material. "Thank you for worrying, Your Majesty."

"Shall we?" He gestured me to go inside the dining hall and helped me sit, pulling the chair for me.

The dinner was silent as usual. But when we finished, he suddenly brought up our marriage and told me that he wanted to hold a ball to announce the date of our marriage ceremony. I was shocked to say the least.

"Why all of a sudden?" I stammered, not believing that he wanted to make it official.

He sighed. "We can't keep putting it off."

What?

"I will take care of the wedding preparations, but I will be depending on your abilities to hold the ball. Will you please do the honor?"

I stared at him, countless thoughts running through my mind. Was he trying to do it because of the heir matters?

Still, in any way, I was in no place to refuse the marriage.

I would even say I was glad that it was finally happening. My parents would have less worries if I went through with it.

"Leave it to me, Your Majesty."

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

Are we finally getting a wedding??

Cheers 🫶✨