Get Hooked Writing Challenge #1

Welcome to the Get Hooked Writing Challenge brought to you by the Improve Your Writing profile. This will be a recurring series, so you will have plenty of opportunities to practice this important literary device, which will ultimately help you improve your reader engagement. If we like what you've shared with us, we will include it in our Get Hooked Anthology.

The submission window for our current writing challenge will be open from 1 July, 2023 through 31 August, 2023.

What is a hook?

- a dramatic action, a mysterious setting, an engaging character, or a thematic statement that draws in readers at the beginning of a story.

Hooking your readers is more than dropping them into an action scene. A hook can be the creak of a staircase when nobody else is home, the morning after a drunk text, a mailbox holding a package from an unknown sender. A hook makes your readers want to know what's going to happen next.

For tips on how to incorporate a hook into your story opening, follow this LINK to read our chapter on The Hook located under the Literary Devices title.

👇          👇          👇

If you believe your story has a great hook in the first chapter, we want you to share that first chapter with us! Keep reading for more deets!

Have you completed a story on Wattpad? Or are you currently uploading chapters of a new story? Have you lured your readers in with a brilliant hook in the first chapter? What about your opening line? Do you believe it captures the attention of you...

Have you completed a story on Wattpad? Or are you currently uploading chapters of a new story? Have you lured your readers in with a brilliant hook in the first chapter? What about your opening line? Do you believe it captures the attention of your readers?

If you have answered yes to any of these questions, we want to see that first chapter!

👉 IMPORTANT: We are not talking about the prologue (if your story has one). We are asking for the first chapter that starts your story. Your prologue may have a great hook, but your readers will also expect a hook in the first chapter. So, if your hook doesn't happen until the second chapter or later, you will not be eligible for this writing challenge.