Chapter 18: EasyMac

When I came back downstairs after the most amazing shower of my life, Mallory and the sisters were all seated in the living room. I walked in expecting Mallory to be extremely uncomfortable, however I found her seated on the couch next to Sarah looking very amused by how mesmerized they were at Twilight playing on the TV. The sister's eyes were transfixed on the screen as if Edward Cullen himself had personally put them in a trance.
I sat down on the other side of Sarah and she turned to me with one of her big grins.
"Look at that boy!" She gushed pointing to the TV.
I giggled and nodded.
"Yeah, Robert Pattinson has a lot of girls excited."
Sarah's face fell
"I thought his name was Edward".
Mallory laughed out loud at this.

"So the people art not actually inside that box?" Mary asked, looking at Mallory.

Mallory shook her head
"Nope. It's recorded".
The sisters all looked at her confused

I laughed "That doesn't mean anything to them".

"Here like this..." Mallory said as she stood up from the couch and picked up her phone from the side table.

"Stand up Kayti" she said to me as she opened the camera app.
I got to my feet and turned toward her.

"Ok do something." She instructed.

I lifted my hands in a shrug "Like what?"

"I don't know, go out of the room and come back in." She suggested.
I turned and walked out of the living room. I turned the corner by the stairs towards the kitchen and quickly turned back around and walked back into the living room. The Sanderson's watched me intently, I'm sure not really understanding what Mallory and I were trying to show them.
Mallory again pressed the middle button on her phone screen and nodded.

"Ok so this is what recording a video means." She said walking back to her spot on the couch. She beckoned for Winnie, Mary and Sarah to come closer before pressing play. They watched in awe as they saw what had just happened moments ago on the screen.
Once they finished watching the video, Mallory went back to the camera and raised her phone toward me.

"And this is what it means to take a picture."
She pressed the camera button once again and got a clear shot of me flipping her off.
She laughed and opened the photo she just took.

"See, it's like the video but still".
The sisters stared at the phone incredulously.

"Tis like a drawing but tis not a drawing". Winnie stated staring wide eyed at the phone.
Mallory nodded.
"It's a captured image from a moment in time." She said before getting up and grabbing a framed photo from the TV stand.
"Kinda like this one".
She brought the picture over and handed it to me. I smiled. It was a picture of Mallory and I at Lake Anna, when her and her family came down to Virginia one summer. My mom was in court ordered rehab at that time, so my dad and I stayed with them at the lake house they rented. I looked at the date in the bottom right hand corner. July 4th, 2002. I was seven and Mallory must have been 14. That time at the lake was one of my happiest childhood memories. A blissful break from my otherwise turbulent home life.

"Here." I said and handed the framed photo to Sarah. She leaned over closer to her sisters and showed them the photograph.

"Who are these children?" Sarah asked, looking back at me.
"It's us". I said motioning between Mallory and myself.
"Thou are so young". Sarah remarked, running a finger over the glass.
"Yeah I was seven I think." I replied.
"What is that on your teeth?" Mary asked Mallory, referring to the braces she had back then.
Mal laughed.
"They're called braces. Kids get them to straighten their teeth before adulthood." Mallory explained. "They suck!"
The Sandersons looked at her confused.