Aftermath

The organisation likes everything Greek. Midas as a name for example or our motto "callidus et tenebrarum" meaning clever and chaotic in Latin. While my name is Wolf, I was often likened to Icarus. Always went a bit to far in my madness. I'd like to say that I've always had a method in there but then I'd be lying. I don't lie. Ever. Now, back to reality.

Everything hurts. I can't move without some body part screaming in pain at me. I must have broken a few bones at least. I takes me a moment to realise that I'm laying on top of Midas. He must have broke my fall slightly. Blood trickled down his face and his eyes were still. No movement. No breathing.

I clamber off of Midas to lie on the pavement and look up at the building. Nothing will survive the fire beside me.

Focus.

I know I have to move soon otherwise the paramedics will arrive and find me. Being a wanted criminal, this can't happen. Getting up is excruciatingly painful. My left leg and arm are definitely broken. I have to lean against the wall and hobble along to get away. I think fast of a place to stay and come to the conclusion that I will have to go to an old friends "house".

A 20 minute walk to the Berghain Techno club took an hour instead. I travelled through as many alleys as possible to avoid unwanted questions and stayed away from busy roads.

My friend is Alice Turner and she lives above the Berghain, like a rat in the ceiling. I've known her for a while and she is one of the few people I trust entirely. The other is my girlfriend. Anyway, I knock on the fire escape door and a tough voice from the other side yells "you tell me who the fuck you are or I'll blow your head off!". This was a traditional greeting from the woman. On the other side of that door, she was aiming an old rifle right where someone would be standing.

"It's me dipshit! Open up, I'm dying out here" I yell back. She hasn't changed and neither have I. Alice let me in and saw me, bloody and bruised, and immediately helped me up the stairs.

Her "house" is one room in the ceiling of the club filled to the brim with weapons, furniture and books. She gets water from outside and cooks on an old gas oven. It was a miracle that thing hadn't broken yet. Her bed is a mattress on the floor, which was where she sat me and started to clean me up. No questions are asked. That is our agreement.

"You need a place to crash till this shit heals more" Alice said, "You'll stay here. Now rest". I don't argue. Only a fool would challenge Alice Turner. I am no fool. So I lay down on the mattress and drift off into oblivion.

Alice wakes me and the memories of yesterday come flooding over me. As does the pain. She hands me some blue pills that I recognise as painkillers and a glass of water. I take them gladly.

"You got a phone in here?" I ask. The big boss will have seen what happened by now and he will want to know everything.

"Down the stairs and first right", Alice replies, "you need help?"

I hated that I did. I work alone and I hate needing help from anyone. However, needs must when the devil drives. Alice helps me up and with one arm slung around her shoulder, we make our way to the phone. Even with the pills, my leg still hurts. She sits me down on a chair and leaves me with some privacy. I should really be calling on a burner phone. Another thing I'm about to get yelled at for.

I dialled the bosses number. Deep breath, I think. I've faced worse.

"Who is this?", an old voice says.

"The Wolf, sir. Although Icarus is more appropriate", I answer.

"I saw what happened. In fact, I think the entire world knows so let's skip the part where you say this was an accident and cut to how long you're out of action for", the boss says. While he speaks gently, just remember he knows a million different ways to kill you.

"4 maybe 5 months" I say hesitantly, "how am I to get back hom- to the Arcanum?". While I consider the headquarters home, the boss won't appreciate the sentiment. He shares the same view as Sherlock Holmes. Sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side. I prefer Moriarty. Honey, you should see me in a crown. Much better.

The voice chuckles, "figure it out yourself. Maybe by the time you're back you'll be useful to me". The line goes dead and I am alone.

Great.