Summer

Summer.

Summer was one of my favorite times during the year.

Schools out. It starts to warm up. Not a care in the world.

Well, now that's it Summer. It's been a couple months since the incident that happened between my dad and Billy.

There was only two days left of school. All the buzz about the new mall was filling the halls. Conversations about groups of rats running around town. Complaints about downtown stores going out of business. And of course, questions on who was going to throw the big end of school year party.

"We need to go to this mall Jenna."

Carol and I were sitting in the gym. Watching what was probably going to be the last basketball scrimmage we'd watch this school year.

"I don't know. I was going to go over to Billy's house an-" Carol scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"You've been over at his house everyday since, since like Christmas. You think he's going to wanna be cooped up in his house with you all Summer?" She pauses, "because I sure don't."

She was right about that. I didn't really leave Billy's side since that night.

But then again. She didn't know what happened that night.

I turn to look at him.

"Maybe you're right." I shrug.

"Of course I'm right. You know, he's going to be out at the pool, being a lifeguard."

"Well, I mean that is his job." I state bluntly.

"My point exactly Jenna!" She shouts, throwing her hands up.

"You're definitely going insane."

"Jenna we both know Billy. He'll be busy." She tells me.

"Carol. I don't want to here that my boyfriend isn't going to have time for me anymore." I mutter, throwing my back against the wall and crossing my arms.

"I'm not telling you that. I'm not saying that at all," she sighs. "I'm just saying, maybe you need to have fun."

"Let's go shopping after school on Friday." She asks one last time.

I think about it one last time before I finally give in.

"Okay. Okay, fine. Let's do it."

She smiles. "Maybe we can even get you a new swimsuit to show off at the pool." She winks and nods her head down to Billy.

I elbow her arm and pretend to gag. "Screw you Carol." I couldn't help but chuckle at her though.

-

  After my last class I start to search for Billy. That night messed with him a little bit. I think he feels guilty for throwing my dad out, but everyday I tell him that he shouldn't.

If he didn't do it. No one would have. He was protecting me and my mom and I'll always appreciate that.

My eyes scan the parking lot. And there he was, leaning against his blue Camaro smoking a cigarette as usual.

"You should wear a jacket." He tells me as I get closer.

Well hi to you to Billy.

"We've been over this. It's hot outside, I'm not wearing a jacket." I roll my eyes before joining his side.

"I'm tired of those assholes staring at you." He snaps before taking another puff of his cigarette.

"Well if I told you all the stuff I hated about how girls act around you, I don't really think it'd be fair."