Chapter 2: Ponytail

Strangely enough, during the next weeks, that exchange between Lila and Lyssa became some sort of a ritual witnessed by everyone whenever an akuma victim appeared. Lyssa would always run and hide in the girl's toilets during the rest of the attack and reappear right after, panting and exhausted as if she had been fighting alongside the heroes. When teachers or students asked where she was, she would act strangely and come up with a lie everyone could see through - thought where exactly she had gone remained a mystery for them.

During this short period of time, Lyssa also became very popular among the students, more than Lila or even Adrien. She would always be surrounded by students complimenting her, earning a bright smile, and she would help anyone when asked. Some girls even started to imitate her, wearing pigtails or the same type of clothes.

Marinette tried to at least pull her friends out of Lyssa's surroundings, but failed since they all were in the same class, and Lyssa seemed to apreciate Alya's and Adrien's company more than anyone else's, apart from Lila, of course. The only one who still listened to Marinette's warnings was Adrien. But though he knew Lyssa and Lila were liars, he didn't want to do anything.

"Why?" asked Marinette.

"They didn't do anything wrong." he resonated. "And I don't think they mean to, either. They're actually really nice."

"But- but what if their lies actually end up harming someone? How would you know that they don't?"

"You would if you knew Lila and Lyssa better."

Marinette didn't answer to that. Tikki gave her the same advise, but for a different reason. 'Keep your friends close, but keep your ennemies closer.' the kwami quoted. She was right. Her holder had tried to approach Lyssa, hoping that she would get a better treatment than with Lila. She hadn't tried to confront her with her lies, but hiding her unwillingness to speak to the second-class liar had been hard. The latter had answered with kindness and, at first sight, had seemed to be pleased that the last student reluctant to speak to her finally did, but something had been off.

Despite her warm smile, Marinette had seen coldness in Lyssa's eyes, and it had been dangerous. Freezing.

So she hadn't tried anything else. Truth was, she had never wanted to get closer. Apart from Lyssa, Lila had threatened her. Of course she wouln't want to be friends with her. But Adrien couldn't know that.

The boy has always been kind. Too kind. That's why Marinette fell in love with him in the first place. She couldn't reject that part of him. But she couldn't agree with him either, so she just stayed silent.

A honk interrupted the uncomfortable silence that grew between the teenagers, signaling Adrien that his car has arrived to pick him up.

"Gotta go." he sighed. "Goodbye, Marinette."

"Y-yeah, see you tomorrow." she answered and waved as he climbed down the stairs.

He offered her a small and sweet smile, blind to the girl's reaction. Her cheeks flushed, she stopped on the top of the stairs, unable to move. How was it that, even when she saw him everyday, she still couldn't react normally to even the slightest smile he sent her way? They were friends, and he only saw her as such! Could she not act properly around him? Well, at least she didn't stutter this time.

"Oh, hey Adrien!" a voice rang behind the girl.

She turned around to see Lyssa speeding past her and joining the model right before he entered the car. The beautiful teenager risked herself to a ponytail for the first time this day, probably tired of wearing the same hairstyle everyday.

She exchanged a few words with Adrien and, as she walked away waving at him, he gave her a bright smile before finally climbing in the car that drove away a second later. Marinette couldn't help but to feel dissapointment. And jealousy.