Chapter 16: Copybug (1)

"ADRIEN! " he heard people shout over the sound of glass shattering.

But that didn't stop him from falling. Some pieces of glass scraped his skin, but he was smiling. He knew that feeling very well. Chat Noir had already let himself fall a thousand times for his Lady. Even Adrien had closed his eyes and jumped off a tower without questioning her. And she had saved him. Every single time. She'd save him again, he was sure of it.

A zzip! and he felt her yoyo wrap around his ankle to leave him hanging off the thread upside down. He tilted his head towards the window to see two heads peek out of the opening. Lyssa and Marinette. The first wore a frown, the second a worried expression. She made sure that he was hanging safely off the thread and stepped back, out of his field of vision. Lyssa ignored her. Her eyes were focused on Adrien, with an unreadable expression – or should he call her Ladybug? 

He didn't know. He had been so sure of it. He had been so happy to believe that his Lady was the girl who sat two rows behind her. But he had seen her transform, and something broke within him, leaving with the only hope that Marinette had been right all along. He knew it, it wasn't right to wish for Lyssa to be akumatized. Still, he couldn't help but hope that it was the case. Otherwise, his heart wouldn't withstand it.

"Why did you jump?" she asked.

"Can we talk now?" he insisted.

She sighed. "You really don't give me any other choice, do you?"

He answered with a chuckle and she followed him out of the window, grabbed him by the waist and threw her yoyo across the street. They swung from rooftop to rooftop until she landed on a balcony surrounded by climbing plants above a café. He recognized this place instantly. He was the one that picked it out. There, he made a mistake he regretted bitterly. Maybe things wouldn't have turned into this mess if he hadn't led her there in the first place. If he hadn't confessed to a girl who might be his Lady. He had been so sure of it. But now?

He knew why she had chosen that place. 'You chose this,' was what she wanted to remind him. He wished he hadn't. Oh, how he regretted it!

"Lyssa." he called.

"Ladybug." she corrected him. "I'm Ladybug."

"I know." he lied.

Why did he even ask her to talk under four eyes? He didn't know what to tell her. He had just reacted instantly when she had refused to let Marinette go. For some reason, he had felt that his classmate was in danger. And imagining her hurt had been unbearable.

"Why did you tell the class?" he asked. It was the first question that had come to his mind. 

"I didn't want them to believe the article. They would all have believed Marinette if I hadn't told them the truth."

"What truth?" a familiar voice rang above their heads.

Adrien looked up and felt a wide smile form on his lips. Never before had he felt such relief. Upon seeing her stand there, on the roof, the world seemed to lighten up and regain its bright colors. She was there. And she was capable of fixing everything. He may have made bad choices, but he was sure of it now. Everything was going to be fine.

"Ladybug!" he shouted.

"You! Why are you here?" Lyssa yelled in a fit of panic.

"A nice little birdie told me that someone was pretending to be me. But I never expected you to actually go to that length."

"Marinette told you." the liar growled.

Ladybug smiled. "You've done her wrong. I can't just let it slide anymore."