Chapter 19: Ice cream

Lyssa followed Ladybug on the bench, wondering if she really could sit that close to the heroine she had tried so hard to copy. She had already seen her swinging around the city hundreds of times, but seeing her from up close, knowing that her acting and lies had been discovered by the very person she had imitated felt different. Despite being the same age and almost looking the same, Lyssa found the heroine to be intimidating. She radiated an energy that the liar could never dream to copy.

She fiddled with the stick of her wine glass shaped ice cream cone, not knowing what to do. Since Ladybug had come to pick her up, the only words she had addressed to the civilian were instructions. Still, despite the strange silence that floated between the two girls — and Lyssa's act —, Ladybug didn't seem to mean any harm. If that was the case, she wouldn't have treated her to André's famous ice cream. Couples and friends gathered around the man's truck shop, shooting some curious glances towards the two similar-looking girls. If the civilian shifted from one leg to another upon noticing their stares, that didn't seem to bother the heroine. Lyssa even believed to see the corners of her mouth slightly rise upon spotting a man trying to take a picture discreetly. Did she purposefully take Lyssa to a crowded place? Probably. The civilian guessed that it was Ladybug's form of punishment. But Lyssa was still unaware of what kind of wave it would surely provoke.

Over to her side, the heroine frowned at her ice cream, for a moment completely forgetting the reason why she had even come here to get one. André's recipe for her didn't change much: peach for his lips, mint for his eyes. But, on top of the cream lay now dark chocolate sprinkles. The sudden, but small change had surprised both André and her. Usually, when someone had a change of heart, their ice cream would become completely different. The ice cream seller had shrugged upon hearing her question, guessing 'maybe you recently realized something your heart knew all along'. That had thrown the heroine deep into introspection. 

She had always thought that the mint and peach symbolized Adrien. It had to be. After all, she had been deeply in love with him. But she didn't love him anymore. She didn't feel anything towards him at all. And now, the dark sprinkles reminded her of Chat Noir. She wondered how she even came to think of the cat themed hero. Had he been here to see her ice cream, he surely would have commented on it. A soft smile formed on her lips at the thought of her partner. Warmth spread in her chest, seemingly wanting to tell her something. Something she had to ignore at all costs.

She came back to reality with a jolt. Now wasn't the time to get lost in thoughts, especially ones about Chat Noir. But Lyssa didn't help in that regard.

"So you like Chat Noir?" the civilian asked, all nervosity forgotten as soon as she had laid her eyes on the heroine's ice cream.

Ladybug cracked off the stick of her cone. Maybe bringing the liar here wasn't a bright idea after all. She shook her head. No. She was already here. All she had to do was talk things out with Lyssa. After that, she'd finally be able to go home and rest after that exhausting day.

She didn't answer the girl's question. She took her time before saying anything, preferring to start licking the melted cream that slowly flew over the cone. "I heard things about you," she finally declared, earning a flinch from the civilian. "It was rather... interesting. But I should have come to see you and talk way before something happened. I'm sorry."

Apologizing for something she didn't do left a sour taste in her mouth but Marinette knew that, if she wanted Lyssa to listen, she had to at least pretend to be understanding.

"I- But... Why are you apologizing?" Lyssa asked, bewildered.

She had expected the heroine to blame her. She had been prepared for that. She had watched the faces of every person on this bridge, knowing that they would soon twist themselves in disgust and contempt upon eavesdropping on their conversation. The only perspective of it had let her throat tighten, until she believed not to be able to swallow her ice cream down. But hearing Ladybug apologize was somehow worse. She didn't know how to react.