18. If You Still Care

Blake's offer to meet up at the swimming pool kept bugging my mind. I didn't say yes, but I also didn't turn him down on the spot. Why couldn't I say no to him at the first chance? I should have done that. At least, I wouldn't be dealing with this back and forth in my head right now.

My rational mind said no. Blake belonged to the past, and whatever he was going to say wouldn't have anything with my current circumstances. It wouldn't change anything. So what was the point of meeting him? Still, the other part of me wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything important —if it was important. But again, what was there left between us that was worth discussing?

Still debating with myself, my feet seemed to have their own mind and took me to the resort sports center. Maybe I should just follow through and see what would happen.

The swimming pool was on the rear side of the gym building, and I had to walk past a huge glass door to access the area. But I stopped short when the door before me slid open, thinking that it was probably a bad idea to see him. Maybe I should just go back to my room and call it a night.

I groaned audibly knowing I would regret it if I walked away. "Fine. Let's hear what he has to say, then leave. That's it," I mumbled before taking a deep breath and striding to the swimming pool.

The pool was empty since no one was crazy enough to swim outdoors at this temperature. It was huge, oval-shaped, and positioned in the middle of the deck. The bright lights lined up along its wall, illuminating deep blue light across the water. The hotel logo decorated the bottom of the pool, looking as if it was swaying from the water movement.

At the other end of the pool, Blake sat on one of the sun loungers, his face buried in his phone while his fingers were dancing on the screen, probably talking to Kendall, or whatever. Another pinch of doubt rushed into my mind once more, but it was too late to escape because Blake looked up and saw me. I had no choice but to walk in his direction, silently telling myself that it would be easy and quick, and that I would be in my room before I knew it.

I sat down on a sun lounger next to his, extending my legs out and leaning back on its backrest while my eyes were on the pool. "I'm here."

"Thank you. I wasn't sure you would show up."

"I wasn't going to," I said.

"But...?"

"I don't want it to backfire on me, in case this is about something I need to know."

"Does it mean you started to think that there is some truth out there you haven't figured out?"

"Just get to the point, Blake," I said, my voice hardening. "Why are we here?"

He slipped his phone into his pocket and leaned over with his elbows pressing against his knees, his gaze on me. "It feels like I should explain something to you, about why I moved back to my hometown and took part in my family's business."

"You don't owe me any explanation."

"I know, but considering what happened four years ago–"

"What happened in the past is in the past. Anything you decided afterward has nothing to do with us anymore. It won't affect me or anything." The lie rolled off my tongue effortlessly.

"Still, I have the need to explain."

I turn my head to look at him. My heart skipped a bit when we locked our gaze. "Why?"

He took a few seconds before replying, "I guess I still care about what you think about me."

My heart leaped, and I suddenly forgot how to breathe. Tearing my eyes from our staring contest, I shifted my gaze back to the pool and shook my head. "No, you shouldn't."