17. A Surprise Visit

Being home again after almost eight months woke up the sentimental feelings. Every corner of the town reminded me of my school years; the moment I was still too ignorant about everything. I had parents who loved me dearly and lived in a beautiful house, next to Dean's which I once called home too. That was until I learned the twisted situation between my parents and Dean's mom. The bittersweet memories.

As we drove ahead, there were barely any lights coming from the buildings which lined up on either side of the street. The lamp posts illuminated dim, sometimes flickering yellow lights; enough for me to see the pavement and a small part of people's front yards. Not a lot had changed.

"I can bring you to Blake tomorrow," Mom's voice pulled me out of my inner bubbles.

"Nah. I'm not going to make you drive back and forth for two hours only to take me there," I said, pulling my cardigan tighter into my body. I should have brought a jacket instead. "And you have a breakfast appointment tomorrow."

"Oh. It's not a big deal. I told my friend you came here, so I might bail on our appointment."

I turned my head to Mom. "Friend? Who?"

"It's...Steve. From work."

I couldn't help smiling. "I knew he was doting on you."

She laughed lightly. "It's not a date, really. He's been talking about a new cafe downtown, and we decided to check it out."

"Well, still, it's awesome," I said. "I think it's time for you to go out again."

"Do you think so?"

"Of course!" I rubbed my eyes and yawned. "I'll just order an Uber in the morning. I just need my sleep now."

"You were crazy for taking the midnight flight."

"It wasn't a midnight flight. It landed at midnight."

"Yeah, okay. But Blake will be so ecstatic to see you first thing in the morning. Such a sweet weekend surprise."

I swallowed hard. "Yeah. I hope so."

I used to tell Mom everything when it came to boys. She knew I was into Dean for years, or when I dated the guy I gave my virginity to, or when I was seeing the asshole Tom during my early years in uni. I was an open book to her. But about Blake, it was different. It felt like I was stepping into a real adult life, where I was going to take full responsibility for all the good and bad decisions I made. No more Mom's involvement in the process.

Blake once offered me to keep his apartment spare keys, but I refused

Blake once offered me to keep his apartment spare keys, but I refused. Either I would lose it or it would be sitting in my drawer until he moved to my city. I saw no point in keeping it. I regret it now. He was probably still in his bed around this hour, and I could have just slipped in and joined him.

Sighing, I pressed his unit number on the call box and waited. In a few seconds, the dialing sound stopped, but the voice from the other side made my blood run cold. A woman's voice.