▸ one-shot 4.

One-Shot 4: Electric Feel

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Summary:

Chaeyoung accompanies Jennie on a work trip.

Takes place 7 years in the future.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

"I cannot believe this is happening," Chaeyoung hisses under her breath, doing her best to avoid making eye contact with the three TSA agents currently huddled around the monitor. "You should've checked it into the hold."

Jennie folds her arms. "Yeah, well, hindsight is a wonderful thing. How was I supposed to know silicone shows up as a liquid in the scanner?"

"You studied science."

A scoff. "Biology. For one year, Chaeyoung. It doesn't make me an authority on X-ray fucking imaging."

One of the officials approaches—a short, stout woman with salt and pepper hair pulled back into a severe bun. She snaps on a pair of disposable gloves.

"Step over here, please."

They share a quick yet significant glance.

When they both move to follow her to the partitioned area, a discreet distance from the busy line, she holds up a stalling finger at Chaeyoung. "Not you, ma'am."

"Oh." Chaeyoung's throat bobs. "Of course. I'll just be over..."

She gestures to indicate somewhere vaguely behind her. But before she's taken more than half a step backwards, Jennie grabs her wrist, preventing any further retreat.

"No. Stay."

"Jennie," Chaeyoung cautions, an undercurrent of alarm creeping into her hushed voice. She sends an apologetic look to the TSA agent. Is about to offer a few mediatory words to diffuse the situation, only for Jennie to preempt her.

"Look, I get it. You're just following the rules, doing your job, earning your paycheck. But here's the thing: we're a team. Where I go, she does too." Jennie lifts her chin, defiance in her eyes, a stubborn set to her mouth as she holds the woman's stare. "So do what you gotta do, because I'm not going anywhere without her."

Chaeyoung does not swoon.

(Okay, maybe a tiny bit.)

For a few tense seconds, Jennie and her would-be adversary stand at an impasse, and amid the flutter of rising panic, Chaeyoung wonders whether being detained for obstructing airport security is considered cause for disciplinary action by Dean Jaha and the board.

To her relief, the woman eventually sighs and beckons the two of them forward—the I don't get paid enough for this shit broadcast loud and clear by her demeanor.

"Just be cool," Jennie says out the side of her mouth. "I'll do the talking."

"Jennie, I'm the least cool person you know."

"And I love you for it, babe, but I'm gonna need you to stay calm and let me handle it, okay? Trust me. I've got this."

Chaeyoung stares, incredulous. But she swallows back a protest and nods stiffly, deferring to Jennie's lead, unsure whether she should be more or less worried by Jennie's unshakeable confidence in her ability to sweet-talk strangers.