▸ one-shot 3.

One-Shot 3: Extra Credit

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Summary:

It's Chaeyoung's first day as the newest member of faculty in the Department of Feminist And Gender Studies at YG University and she's more than a little apprehensive about making a good impression upon the staff and students alike.

Jennie helps ease the tension in the best way she knows how.

Takes place around 6 years in the future.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

"Jennie."

At the sound of Chaeyoung's voice, Jennie burrows a little deeper into the cocoon of blankets.

"Jennie, I have to go."

Her answering pitiful groan is muffled by the pillow her face is comfortably smushed into. A pillow that smells of Chaeyoung: her shampoo, her moisturizer, mixed with their usual organic eucalyptus and papaya fabric softener. Jennie hugs the pillow closer, rubs her nose against the brushed cotton, draws as much of that scent into her lungs as she can to stave off reality for a few more precious seconds.

"Jennie."

She feels the brush of fingers against her temple, Chaeyoung sweeping a few messy strands of hair off her face. Jennie takes one more deep breath before rolling over and immediately regrets it. Because she's almost blinded by the rude bolt of daylight that beams through the wide gap in the curtains.

"Ugh. Fuck." She shields her eyes. "What time is it?"

From her perch on the edge of the bed, Chaeyoung cranes her neck to glance at the alarm clock on the nightstand. "7:15."

Jennie lowers her hand, squinting at Chaeyoung in confusion now. "Isn't your first class at 10?"

Chaeyoung's gaze flits down to the blankets. She picks at a loose thread.

"It is but I thought I'd go in early. Familiarize myself with the equipment setup and give my slide deck another run through." Before Jennie can open her mouth to say anything Chaeyoung sighs. "I know. It's just... Hwang's observing my first class and I need everything to go smoothly."

"Babe." Jennie reaches out to take Chaeyoung's hand. It makes Chaeyoung lift her eyes and Jennie's struck, as always, by their beauty, how the subtle shifts in hue seem to reflect Chaeyoung's mood. In this moment they're more slate grey than brown, betraying her worry. "You've rehearsed so much you could deliver this lecture backwards in your sleep. Hell, so could I because, thanks to listening to you, my knowledge of 'A Vindication of the Rights of Woman' is way more in-depth than I ever thought I needed."

Chaeyoung gives a slightly reproachful look. "It's a cornerstone text of first wave feminism, Jennie."

"My point is," Jennie continues with a light squeeze of Chaeyoung's hand, "you've got this. You're amazing and passionate and inspiring. In fact," her eyes drift slowly down Chaeyoung's body, "all those impressionable freshmen are gonna be crushing so hard on the hot new prof."

"Jennie." Chaeyoung ducks her head. Twin points of pink color the tips of her ears. "Associate professor. And you're biased."

"I'm not. Look at you."