10: Grian

TW: Implied mentions of suicide

It's not long until the cake's finished. Scar's still acting off, but I ignore, ready to dig in.

'This is the best cake I've ever eaten.' I declare with a full mouth. 'Cub's a genius.'

'It's not as good.' Mumbles Scar. 'It's really not as good.'

'Stop complaining, Scar. It's incredible. I've never had cake this good.' I go in for a second slice as Scar gives a small smile. Mumbo's just sitting there in cake heaven, eyes closed with bliss.

'Earth to Mumbo.' I laugh, poking him with a spoon. He blinks, then takes another mouthful of cake. Scar's not even tried to finish his, staring at it. I shuffle closer, frowning. 'Scar, if you're not going to eat that, I will.'

He pushes it towards me, standing and running from the room. For a second, nothing. Then I catch a sob, before hearing his door slam. For a moment I'm too shocked to do anything before...

'I need to check on him...' Leaving Mumbo to devour all the cake, I run into the hall. There's a scuffle from behind Scar's door. I knock.

'Scar?'

He doesn't reply.

'Scar, your cake was the best thing ever... None of us mind if it isn't quite as good as his... I don't care that you're Hotguy either.'

Still nothing. I sigh, leaning on the door.

'If you want me to leave tell me, ok? If not I'm coming in.'

'I'm fine.' Comes a call from inside. Something in his tone concerns me. 'I'll be completely fine.'

'Scar what are you doing?' I shove the door. It doesn't open, stuck. There's something there. He's blocked it. 'SCAR OPEN THE DOOR. PLEASE.' Panic fills my voice, ideas, the worst possibilities. I stand back, and run at it. Whatever's blocking it unlodges, and I fall inside. I look for Scar. He's standing by the open window. On his bed. Next to the open window.

'SCAR NO!' Barely thinking more than just pure panic, I run at him, jump on the bed, push him out the way. He stumbles, falling off it to the floor. I slam the window shut, panting. And where I should be scared, or upset, or even just relieved I came in here in time, all I feel is rage.

'WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, SCAR? WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT... WHAT ABOUT ME AND MUMBO? WHAT ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU HAVE HERE? WITH US? WHY- WHY WOULD YOU...'

It's like something inside him deflates. I just stand there, on the verge of tears as he sinks down further, sobbing, hands covering his face,  not even trying to defend his actions. Mumbo bursts into the room, eyes wild with terror.

'What- Grian- Scar?!' He falls to the ground next to Scar. 'Scar, are you ok? What happened?'

He still doesn't reply, instead pointing to where a scrawled note sits on the bed. I sit down, taking it with shaking hands.

To Grian and Mumbo

I can't do this any more.

I'm sorry for getting into trouble again.

When Ren comes to kill me tell him I did it for him.

I'm glad you liked my cake

Goodbye

From, Scar

The words blur in front of me. I quickly hand the note to Mumbo. Scar's still just crying, and now I'm crying too. I notice another piece of paper in his hands, but don't ask.