𝟎𝟓. 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 about Vers that kept Zaksolx on his toes. It wasn't that he felt like he couldn't trust her, on the contrary... he probably trusted her too much. Not with his secrets of course, but he had yet to hesitate when she'd suggested a direction and course of action. She could point toward a cliff and he might just go running off the edge.

So, when she stole a motorized two-wheeled vehicle from a man, following a short dispute, he had no quarrels hopping onto the back. And when she placed his hands around her waist, he held firm so that he might not fall off due to the reckless speed at which she directed the machine.

However, as they pulled off the empty highway and parked by the curb of what appeared to be an abandoned bar, he was more than grateful to stand on solid ground. Turning his face toward the ground and placing his hands on his hips, he tried to steady his heartbeat and ease the queasy feeling in his gut that created another reason why his face might be turning green.

"You're—" He cleared his throat. "You're quite adept at that."

A pained look crossed her face almost like she was struggling to decipher which of the memories in her mind were real... or possibly from another life. He knew this for a fact as he'd been present to see that it was in fact true. Those memories were far too vivid to be implanted, not to mention he didn't think the Kree had the technology capable of doing so anyway.

He hesitated, but fought against his better nature and took a step closer. "Are you alright?"

Vers looked up from the ground in an instant and sniffed, almost like transitioning from a state of vulnerability. "I'm fine... What exactly do you remember, Ze-Los?"

Zaksolx remained still before jumping at the reminder that he was in fact pretending to be someone else... and wearing their face, even though it was one he'd always thought belonged to him. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Honestly... not much. Those—um—those green bastards—um, they really did a number on my head."

Vers slowly nodded her head. "I know the feeling. But you really don't remember anything?"

He shook his head. "It's a miracle I even remember my own name. Speaking of... would you mind just referring to me as 'Z'?"

"Z?" Vers's brow furrowed and her nose wrinkled.

Zaksolx nodded his head. "At least until I can remember something... I just don't feel like that guy, and I'd like to figure out what I am now without his past bogging me down..."

Although the request seemed simple, it had been a risk. There was a chance she'd see right through him and burn a hole through his corpse to confirm any suspicions of Greek skin lying beneath the surface. However, she nodded her head and almost seemed to offer a look of respect.

"Alright, Z," Vers agreed, trying out the name with more support this time. "How about we find some answers then?"

Vers led the way into the bar, but she slowed once the door was open. Her eyes flickered back and forth across the walls as if experiencing numerous flashbacks. Considering he recognized the interior of the bar in relation to the memories that had projected on the screen within the Skrull control ship, he wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what was happening. A few feet in, she stopped entirely, staring at the photos along the wall containing Air Force fighter jets. She specifically focused on the sole image that showed the Pegasus logo on the tail of the jet.

It seemed the bar wasn't entirely abandoned as the bartender approached with a smile plastered to his face that was clearly practiced specifically for customers. "What can I get ya?"

Vers ignored his question, asking one of her own by pointing at the photo. "Where was this photograph taken?"

"At an airport?" He replied, confused and it was clear he didn't actually know.