Chapter 4: The True Kind of Love

Rose remembered seeing this fusion come to be. She and Pearl were rebelling against Blue Diamond, and fought the three Ruby soldiers. Two of them were poofed. The other, as Pearl had drawn her sword to attack the Sapphire, rushed in to block her attack. As the Ruby held the Sapphire, a miracle occurred.

These two gems, each one extremely different from the other, fused. It was unheard of. And their fusion was beautiful. They must have escaped down to the Earth's surface shortly after Rose and Pearl did. She was very happy to see her, because she had been so worried that Blue would do something terrible to both of the gems. 

"Oh no. You're...Rose Quartz. The rebel, Rose Quartz. I'm so sorry, does this" - Garnet pointed to herself - "offend you? I mean, the fusion thing?" 

Rose shook her head. "No, no of course not. But just tell me one thing." she looked inquisitively at Garnet, with a smile. "How does it feel, to fuse with someone so different from yourself? It must be amazing." 

Garnet looked pensive for a while, then said "It is. It feels so right. I know that it is so different from what I am meant to be, and do, and that it is wrong in the eyes of many others, but I have never felt more comfortable, to be ourselves. Myself." 

Rose, who had been listening very intently and hanging on Garnet's every word, grinned. "I knew it! This is an Earth thing, isn't it? Everything is so contrary, and no rules apply here! I love it!" 

Garnet looked like she had so many questions left to ask. "How did this happen? Why was Sapphire's vision inaccurate? And how did Ruby manage to save her at the last moment?" 

Rose laughed softly and helped Garnet get up. "It's love." she said. "That is the only explanation. And trust me, because I know." Rose smiled and took Pearl's hand. 

"Rose, can we talk for a moment?" Pearl asked, nervously. 

"Oh, sure Pearl. We'll be right back, eh...Garnet? Is that your name?" Rose said. 

Rose and Pearl walked behind some bushes. "Can you believe that, Pearl? A fusion of those two gems, and she escaped Blue! I'm so glad no gems live here anymore. This can be a safe place for all of us outcast rebel gems to live." she said, excitedly. "Yes, that is a great idea, Rose. But, I wanted to talk to you about something." Pearl stammered. 

"I...I think about us fusing. Sometimes. Maybe a lot. But then I remember, you're actually a Diamond! I pretend, in my head, that I escaped down to Earth, and met you, a native Rose Quartz. And I belonged to nobody, but you loved me, and we were happy and free together, and– ohhh, it's so insolent and stupid of me, but deep down it's what I want more than anything, but it's what you want that matters really, so I guess what I'm saying is–"

Rose put a finger on Pearl's lips. "Pearl, you don't need to think that anymore. I am Rose Quartz now. I am no longer a Diamond to anyone. You shouldn't shame yourself for thinking something that sounds wonderful! I would love to live that fantasy out with you. And maybe the first part isn't exactly true, but of course I love you, and we are free now, and I am already much happier than I have ever been before now that I can share this beautiful planet with you, and know that the organic life is no longer being destroyed by stupid gem growth." 

Pearl looked astounded, like she couldn't believe what she just heard. She gazed up at Rose, and Rose smiled back at her. Then, Rose couldn't hold back the urge any more. She took Pearl in her arms, and kissed her lips. It felt amazing. She wanted to show that her love was genuine. She knew that Pearl had never experienced anything like this, but neither had she.

Pearl was so happy. "Oh, Rose! I can't believe you feel that way too! I thought I was so crazy for ever thinking like that." 

Rose laughed. "Maybe you are. But if so, I am too!" 

Pearl and Rose walked back out from behind the bushes. "Oke, Garnet. What do you think, about joining our team, and living here on Earth? We would love for you to become a Crystal Gem." Pearl said. 

"Yes, I would like that too. Maybe here, I can finally be free to exist as a fusion!" 

And so it was ascertained. Earth was perfect.