Chapter 11

CHAPTER TEN

~America~

Walking into school the next week felt different with the knowledge that Ukraine wasn't here. I had my overnight bag slung over my shoulder, as it was finally time for the trip that UN had planned. Even though the last thing I wanted to do was spend a weekend in a cozy cabin with my worst enemy, I was excited to go on a roadtrip with my friends. Since there weren't enough buses, we'd all be riding there together.

Speaking of which, Japan waved at me through the window of her minivan. I waved back before nudging Nada back to reality. Ever since Ukraine had been gone, he hadn't talked as much. Even the whittling back at our cabin in the woods hadn't improved his mood, which was saying something.

"Hey, you good?" I nudged him again when he didn't respond.

He jolted awake, his eyes going wide. Deep circles framed his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, I'm good," he yawned and raked his hands through his hair in an attempt to work the tangles out.

I frowned but decided not to press. "Excited for the trip?"

He shrugged halfheartedly, his gaze bleary and unfocused. "Sure."

"Hey you two!" Japan leaned out the window, red heart shaped sunglasses resting atop her onyx colored hair. She was wearing a white tank top and jean shorts.

South sat in the passenger seat, her warm brown hair tied up in a high ponytail. When she caught sight of me, her brows furrowed slightly, her winged eyeliner giving her a more hostile appearance, but I waved warmly at her and it disappeared. She beamed at me and I wondered to myself how Japan was so oblivious to the girl's charm.

"Who's ready to roll?" I grinned, leaning on the windowsill, and that was when I noticed him.

He was slouched in the backseat, cold eyes fixed on me.

I froze, my mind reeling. Japan had never been friends with him before, so why was he here? My mind flashed back to the cold war and Soviet and the allies and the axis. Was Japan reverting to her old self? Or was she just giving him a favor?
"Why the hell is he here?"

Japan's eyes widened. "Oh my god, I forgot to tell you! I'm so sorry, Russia needed a ride and we had extra space so I offered to take him. Don't worry, I've already talked with him about being complacent," she shot him a look and just when I thought he was about to yell at her for telling him what to do, he nodded slowly.

I wanted to break something.

Instead, I smiled, biting the inside of my cheek hard enough to break the skin. "Oh, that was nice of you."

Russia watched me, his expression aggravatingly impassive. I blew a breath out through my nose.

Canada trudged closer to the car, his eyes blurry and unfocused on the gravel. Even though I was angry about our new predicament, I couldn't help but worry about Nada's reaction to Russia's presence. Ever since Ukraine had stopped attending school, his health had declined drastically.

"Hey guys," he nodded halfheartedly at Japan in the front seat.

He reached for the door handle and I cringed.

Silence spanned when he opened the door. He blinked slowly before his brain caught up with his vision. He sprung away from the car as if burned. Once the initial shock wore off, his lilac eyes narrowed, suddenly filled with surprise and borderline malicious intent.

"Get out."

Russia turned expectantly to Japan, who seemed to be at a loss for words.

After a moment, she cleared her throat nervously and began. "Nada, it's okay, I offered to give him a ride since he didn't have any other way here."