Chapter 18

We stayed in the forest for a few days, talking to old friends, exploring our old home, and even making new friends. I knew I had missed my home, but I didn't realize just how much. 

I was flying around on my Ikran, who I named Tyla, trying to master my archery skills. Mom had been teaching me how to time my shots when I was in the air, and how to never miss my target if I could help it. Dad didn't want me killing any animals, so Neteyam and Lo'ak had set up targets all over the place for me. I had been better at the task than I had expected, but I definitely mastered it. 

A few hours later I heard dad calling my name on our communicators, "Neliya, come in." His voice sounded stressed and he spoke urgently. "I'm here, send your traffic," I responded after moving my hand and pressing the button on my neckpiece. "Come back to Home Tree. Right now." Without a second's hesitation, I quickly flew to the Home Tree and landed Tyla in front of dad before jumping off of her and walking towards him. It wasn't until I had gotten closer that I noticed he had war paint on his face, and an AR in his hands. "What's going on?" I asked cautiously just as Neteyam, Lo'ak, and Mom walked toward us. 

"The sky people haven't stopped coming here, trying to take their supplies, we are joining the war party. I need you to stay here, where it's safe." 

"What? But I'm a warrior like you now. I'm supposed to fight," I fought his statement, knowing I would get nowhere. "Nelyia," Mom spoke sharply and quickly knowing that they didn't have time for a real argument. 

"You only got your Ikran a few days ago. You still have a lot of work to do before you are ready for something on this scale. Just stay here, watch Tuk, and be ready to help any wounded with Kiri," He turned to walk away and end the conversation. To his dismay, I ran around him to be back in front of him. "Dad, I can at least stay on Tyla and just watch out for any incoming planes. Please, I just want to help."

I saw him glance over at mom, who just tilted her head and looked at me slowly. When he turned his head back to me, he hesitated, sighed, and shook his head. "Alright. But you are to keep a distance, and only watch for any bogies. Am I understood?" He was talking in his commander's voice now, which was one I hadn't heard in a while. Especially not being directed at me. So, I stood a bit taller and nodded. "Yes. Okay," I made sure to keep my answer short. 

"Alright. Gear up," With that, he walked away and started talking to the new chief of the clan. Lo'ak walked over to me and clapped his hand on my shoulder, "So little sis, now you're flying around with me and Neteyam huh?" Neteyam moved to the other side of me, placing his hand on my other shoulder, "You really are trying to be a mighty warrior aren't you?" They both chuckled at me when I responded by slapping both their hands off of me. 

Soon enough, I had war paint on my face, enough arrows to last me a lifetime, and Tyla up in the air with the rest of the war party. I flew in between Neteyam and Lo'ak who were also only meant to stay back and watch for incoming sky people. Once we got close enough, Neteyam called out to us both, telling us to hang back, so that's what we did. 

-------------------------

A.N

Okay, so yes. I am still alive. I'm so sorry for disappearing there for a while. I told myself I wouldn't do that in the middle of my stories but here we are. I've been working my ass off, and it's leaving little to no time to get ANYTHING else done in my life. I will try to keep updating when I can. Sorry for the cliff hanger here, as I am literally making this all up as I go now. IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE CHAPTERS PLEASE COMMENT BELOW!!!!!!!