Chapter 14

Lauren 

"Thank you, Aedyn. It's a good thing you were nearby. That crazy drunk came out of nowhere." After Brandon had left, Aedyn entered the room and was now standing next to my hospital bed. 

 "It was no problem. You're my friend, Lauren. I had to make sure you were okay." 

"I thought you were leaving town? Wasn't someone coming to pick you up?"

"That can wait. When I saw it was you out there, lying in the intersection, I had to stay and make sure you were okay." He smiled a warm, charming smile that brought a slight blush to my cheeks. 

 I was flattered that Aedyn had changed his plans for me. His admiration cheered me, and having him in my room, right next to my bed, staring at me with those eyes and that smile, made me ever happier that I'd convinced Brandon not to call his brother. 

God, I didn't have the strength to face Chip right now. All I wanted to do was roll over, bury my face in the pillow and sleep. My life was a mess and in the midst of the storm, here was Aedyn. I focused on his beautiful eyes beaming down on me with concern. They were like a soothing balm to my soul and all troubles turned to wisps of air.

"What about your work? Did you miss your flight? Oh, I feel awful. I've caused you so much trouble." 

"Don't worry about it. You're what's important, Lauren. I made a call and got one of my junior guys to handle work. At least that's what I think I pay them for." His eyes studied me intently. "Coming back to Granger for my father's funeral and seeing my aunt again, well it's made me realize I spend entirely too much time at work. I need to learn to delegate more and take time for other things, like family... friends." 

Talking with Aedyn felt good. It helped me relax and forget the pain in my head. Unfortunately, my respite didn't last long. It'd hardly seemed like Aedyn had been there a minute when the man I feared came bursting into the room. In a small town like this, I shouldn't have been surprised. I should've known someone would've let Chip know I was here. 

 The minute Chip stepped up next to my bed, my composure was ripped apart and a wave of apprehension swept through me. Chip's expression was blank at first, but the minute he saw a man standing next to my bed, someone who wasn't a doctor or nurse, his face contorted with ugly jealousy. In an instant, panic rioted within me, spiking my adrenaline to the max. This was the reality of being oppressed. The never-ending roller-coaster ride of fear, anxiety, then calm, then gut wrenching fear again. Its acrid edges cut through everything. 

"Chip!" My eyes darted to Chip's face to gauge his mood. Based on my past experience, I shouldn't have bothered. I already knew what it would be. Aedyn must have sensed the alarm in my voice and took a step back from my bedside.

Instead of asking if I was all right, Chip's first response was to regard Aedyn with a speculative glare then blurt out, "Who's this?" 

 "This is Aedyn Cumberland. Do you remember him from high school?" 

Chip's eyes darted from Aedyn and then to me. His jaw was set tightly. "Aedyn." He nodded a terse greeting. 

 I closed my eyes, took a breath, opened them and said, "Aedyn, this is Chip—my boyfriend." 

Aedyn raised his eyebrows and then brushed the back of his hand across his nose. I had failed to mention this to Aedyn in our long conversation at the diner. Whether subconsciously, or purposely, who knew anymore, I said nothing about a boyfriend—of four years—who I wanted to marry.