26. Impossible Mission

"So that's how it is. You may leave."

A masked person melted back into the darkness leaving Orochimaru alone to ponder on the information he was just given.

   The electric lamp that provided light in the secret room flickered lightly as Orochimaru searched the cabinets. It didn't take him long to find what he was looking for. Orochimaru pulled out a thick file envelope and brought out the contents. Within it were various pictures, pictures of Sasuke and Sakura starting from as far back as when they first met. Orochimaru added the new one that was just given to him. It was Sasuke and Sakura hugging.

    Orochimaru brought out another file envelope, and within this one were files that contained information on Haruno Sakura.

   "If only Sasuke-kun had remained a good boy."

*_*_*_*_*

     That day Sasuke didn't explain anything to Sakura, after the hug her whole demeanor had changed. She told him to stay safe and at least contact her once in a while. Then she left.

   Sasuke still didn't know what had happened then, but he was glad for Sakura's understanding. The last thing he wanted was to drag her into the mess of a life he was currently living.

    Sasuke was going through his daily routine when he received a call from Orochimaru saying that there was work for him. Sasuke had to leave urgently as requested by Orochimaru.  When he arrived, the first person he saw was Orochimaru, a face he would have loved to never see again, and eventually forget.

   "Frowning as soon as you see me, and here I thought you would have missed me." Orochimaru said.

  "Give me the details of the mission."

  Orochimaru happily handed Sasuke the folder and then waited patiently to see his reaction. When Sasuke opened the folder, Orochimaru was not disappointed because a wave of shock or perhaps even fear was present on Sasuke's usually cold face.

   "What's with the look? Is there something you don't understand? Any questions?"

   "Who brought this in?" Sasuke asked.

   "Well our client has chosen to remain anonymous. You shouldn't have problems with that. After all your work is to kill, and not to interact with clients. I believe it will be easy for you, the girl that they want dead attends the school you used to go to."

   Sasuke griped the folder tightly and walked away.

   All his carefulness had proved useless. Not telling her his feelings, trying to get her to hate him, keeping her away. It had all been futile, because now Orochimaru wanted her dead, and he wanted him to be the one to do it.

*_*_*_*_*

    At the company Fugaku had launched a full scale investigation in search of Isezaki Noburo the one who had sent thugs after Kizashi, the mastermind that wanted to take over his company.  The search was fruitless there were only records of him working in the sales department. Only the name he gave was real, the phone number, and address, everything else in his resume was fake.

   It was likely that he ran after finding out that his plan failed. He was still a threat, a dangerous criminal on the loose. Fugaku knew that the police were already working on finding the man, but he simply could not calm down knowing that someone like that was running free. The man could even be plotting more malicious attacks while the police searched for him.

     In order to put himself at ease Fugaku knew what he had to do, he picked up his phone and made a call.

*_*_*_*_*