Habib 2

Ouch… the sting of a needle

The strong scent of disinfectant

The metallic taste in my mouth

I struggled to open my eyes but quickly shut them close, the light stinging. I gently opened them again and looked around. White walls, blue curtains, an iv drip. I was in the hospital.

I frowned wondering what I was doing here, my hand unconsciously moving to my stomach. I froze when I realized I didn’t feel anything. I clutched at my stomach panicking waiting for a kick but got nothing.

“Nurse! Nurse! Nurse!” I called out. She ran in and I looked at her terrified.

“I can’t feel my baby. What did you do to my baby?” I asked as another woman ran in.

“Ma’am, we need you to calm down please, and,  will explain everything to you.” She said calmly.
I stared at her before nodding.

“You were involved in an accident two days ago, you were brought here. You were in a critical condition”

Everything seemed to come back to me after that, Habib’s infidelity, me running away, the crash.

“My baby’s gone isn’t she?” I whispered.

“I’m sorry, she was already dead before you arrived. You became our primary focus.”

I closed my eyes as the tears fell, my baby was gone. She just had a few weeks left, and she would have been born, and now she is no more.

“I am very sorry for your loss,” she said, rubbing my shoulder. “Is there anybody we can call?”
I nodded and gave them my stepfather’s number.

“Can I get something for the pain?” I asked, wanting to go back to sleep. Coupled with the heartache and the ache in my bones, I just wanted to sleep forever.

“Sure” she smiled.

********      **********     *********

I woke up in pain to the feeling of someone stroking my hair.

“Mama” I whimpered

“shhh… it's okay. I am here”

“It hurts so much mama, make it stop please” I whispered as the tears ran down my cheeks.

“I’m so sorry Faiza. Everything will be okay” she said.

“I need to sit up” she helped me move the upper part of the bed higher till I was slightly seated. I closed my eyes biting my lip as the pain shot up my body.

“Habib you’re here”

The moment she uttered that name, I opened my eyes glaring at the bastard.

“Ammi!!!” a voice said, I felt a hand on mine and I recoiled immediately.

“Faiza it’s just Ahmad” Mama said.

“Get him away from me” I muttered my eyes still on the devil who had the decency to look guilty.

The Bastard.

“Faiza what is wrong with you? He’s your son” mama exclaimed as Ahmad tried to reach for my hand again.

“GET HIM OUT!!! I don’t want to see him or the devil he calls a father.” I yelled ripping the needle out of my hand, sending blood spurting in all directions. The commotion had the doctor rushing into the room with a nurse.

“Take your son and leave, I hate you so much. I despise you, I wish you would die” I screamed the tears blurring my vision. I felt hands restraining me pushing me down on the bed and then the prick of a needle. The world went dark after that and I welcomed it eagerly.

********      **********     *********

The next time I woke up, I heard murmurs of a discussion around me.

“Habib what did you do to her?” a voice asked.

Silence

“Habib, I will ask you for the last time what di…”

“He won’t tell you” I croaked and they all turned to me. “because he won't know where to start from” I looked at him

“I want you to divorce me.”

“Haba Faiza. How can you say that?” Mama chastised.

“I am not going back to his house mama. If I am forced the next time you see me will be behind bars. He took my daughter from me, he doesn’t deserve to live” I murmured.

“Subhanallah!!! Why are you talking like this?” Mama asked exclaiming.

“Tell them, husband. Tell them what you could have possibly done to make me talk like this?”

“Faiza, please” he pleaded, I scoffed turning to his mother who was silent throughout the whole conversation. Her eyes trained on her son.

“He cheated on me, not once not twice, he has never treated me right a day in my life. My marriage has been a farce, the only good thing about it was Ahmad.”

“Habib is this true? Is what your wife saying true?” she asked standing up. His head was bent low, his eyes on the floor.

“So it’s true. What type of son did I raise?” she asked eyeing him. “Your father and I raised you better than this. Is it because of that tramp you wanted to marry? Is that why you made Faiza’s life miserable? ANSWER ME!!!” she shouted.

“Get out” she ordered and he left not before glancing at me. I stared at him with no expression on my face. He sighed leaving.

“I am sorry for everything.” She begged walking over to hold my hand.

“We did not raise him like this. I don’t know what got into him. I am so very sorry.” Her voice broke towards the end. I forced a smile at her

“It’s not your fault. Kana haifar da amma ba ka haifar halin shi”

She smiled in gratitude before excusing herself.

“Get some sleep,” Mama said, her voice thick with emotions. Her eyes had gone red.