Kabanata 2

Kabanata 2

It was morning and I decided to jog around the village instead sa treadmill. Paliko na sana ako ng house nang may makitang familiar na tao not far away from me. He's standing in front of my neighbor's gate. I remember him telling me that his sister lives in the same village as mine. What was his name again?

I took my phone and opened the messenger. Hahanapin ko ang profile niya through our group chat. Akala ko mahihirapan akong hanapin siya pero I was wrong pala. He's the one who keeps on posting the announcement from the profs.

Jhin Ryder Romualdez

Nakita ko rin na he posted his mobile number sa gc so that if anyone needs to contact him daw. Tsk. Pabida. Ano siya superhero?

I copied his number and called it using my phone. I saw how his brows creased as he looked at his phone screen.

"Hi," he greeted enthusiastically.

"Are you stalking me?" Kumunot nanaman ang noo niya at inilayo ang phone niya to look at the screen again. Nang ibalik niya sa tenga niya, nagsalita ako ulit. "I'm reporting you to the police."

"I'm sorry. I think you got the wrong number...?"  I rolled my eyes. Palusot. Maybe prettier talaga ako sa Psyche na 'yun to make his guy friend stalk me.

I ended the call and saw him staring at his phone like it was weird. Naglakad ako palapit sa kanya. I don't care if he's dangerous, my life has always been in danger because of how rich I am. That's the reason my parents wanted me to know self-defense.

"Stop stalking me," I told him with my arms crossed over my chest. His eyes diverted from his phone to me. An amused look was suddenly plastered on his face. He opened his mouth to say something but someone called his name.

"Jin-jin! Thank you for lending me this," said the woman na palabas ng house at may dalang paper bag. She suddenly stopped when she saw me. Her look shifted from me to Ryder and a wide smile was formed on her lips. "Hi? Am I interrupting something?"

"Wala." Sabay na sabi namin ni Ryder. I know that I'm frowning based on my tone, while him... just his usual boy next door face na nagsisimula nang maging annoying sa paningin ko.

"Thanks, ate. I'll go ahead." He kissed her cheek before he looked at me, shaking his head while annoyingly smiling as he walked to the driver's side of the car. Ugh! Annoying talaga. I scowled at him which made him chuckle before he closed the door and drove away. I was left standing in front of his sister and I suddenly felt awkward.

"Radella, right?" I was surprised she knew my name. Kakabalik ko lang from the US a few months ago and I don't know anyone here.

"Yeah," I answered trying to be casual.

"I'm Laura. You want to come in?" She asked. I probably shouldn't kasi nakakahiya, pero parang mas na-shy ako na tumanggi kaya I nodded my head na lang. She gave me a big smile and ushered me inside her house.

I looked around as I followed behind her. Her home is the minimalist type. It's like walang laman. I know uso ang ganito, but I'm not into this kind of style, it feels boring and empty.

My eyes caught sight of a photo frame, of her and a little boy that seemed to be Jin-jin. They seemed pretty close. Medyo nakaka inggit kasi wala akong kapatid. I really wanted to have a sibling when I was young kaso my mother was sick and I was their 'miracle baby'.

We stopped when we reached her dining. "We have a guest." She announced do'n sa lalaki at bata na kumakain. They looked up and saw me. "This is Radella, our neighbor."Sabi niya habang nakangiti. "Tara kain tayo ng breakfast."

Ugh! What am I doing here? May breakfast naman sa bahay. This is so nakakahiya!

"This is my husband, Leo, and our daughter, Macy." Pagpapakilala niya sa dalawa. The guy nodded his head while the kid gave me a big smile.

Inabutan niya ako ng bacon and egg tapos... sinigang yata ang tawag sa ganitong rice? 'Or was it sinagang? I don't even know what this is called... basta may garlic!

Hindi pa naman ako sanay kumain ng rice kapag morning kasi nasanay ako na puro bread and pancakes sa umaga. Kumuha na ako ng kaunti. Nakakahiya naman kung mag re-request ako ng tinapay.

"So how did you meet Ryder?" She asked. Pinigilan kong mapangiwi sa tanong niya.

"Classmate?" Hindi pa ako sure kasi hindi naman ako seryoso sa pagpasok ng law school. I just wanted to see how Eros is inside the classroom and now that I did, wala na akong balak pumasok ulit. Dahan-dahan naman siyang tumango.

"Are you friends?" Agad na umiling ako. Natawa naman siya. "I hope you'll be friends with him. He doesn't have many friends."

Wow. So need ko na magkawang gawa and give him the courtesy to be my friend? Besides, I saw him getting along with so many other people kaya that's impossible na wala siyang friends. She must've seen my confusion because she laughed.

"Trust me. I know my brother well enough." Well, she doesn't know that I don't have any friends rin naman and I'm an introvert so... her brother can have some other friends na lang.

* * *

Nakabalik na ako sa bahay and I must say, that was the most awkward breakfast I've had in my entire life.

"Where have you been, baby?" I smiled at my Dad.

"Sa neighbor, they seem to know who I am and they invited me to breakfast." My Dad's brow shot up.

"The Victorinos?" I cocked my head to one side. Nakikain ako ng breakfast pero hindi ko alam ang apelyido nila.

"I think so?" Natawa naman si Dad.

"It's good that you're making friends. Para kapag wala na ako may kilala ka naman hindi 'yung lahat sila sinusungitan mo." I rolled my eyes at him. "Manang-mana ka talaga sa mommy mo."

"Whatever, Dad." I scowled at him. He just laughed at me.

"Anyway, anak, are you serious about law school?" Napa-isip ako sa tanong niya. "Because if you are not, then you better drop it. It's not something you should be taking as a joke." Hindi ako naka-imik. I hate law school. It's so boring. Ang boring ng mga tao. Kuntento naman na akong nakita ko si Eros na magturo. "If you're not serious about it, then I think you should start learning about managing our business."

I cringed. I hate managing the business but Dad's been so makulit about it. Wala naman daw ibang mag mamana kundi ako. He's talking about it like he's gonna be gone soon.

"You know you have to, baby. I'm not getting any younger." I took a deep breath.

"Okay, dad. Do I have any other choice?" Once again, he just laughed at me.