13

I hadn't slept much the night before. I think in total I had slept maybe an hour. The forest, its sounds, and my thoughts about Ravenna had kept me awake, and I think everyone could tell. I was just like a zombie riding on Whirlwind's back.

" Y/n? Are you okay? You look all... interesting looking. " said Eric as kindly as possible.
" I thought someone should keep watch, so I stayed up. " I said as confidently as possible.

I guess neither of them really believed it, but they didn't say anything more about it.

We had been walking through the woods for a while and even though I couldn't navigate myself, I don't think we were walking to Mr. Hammond's establishment.

" Are you sure we're walking in the right direction? " Snow White asked after a while.

Just as I saw Eric open his mouth to answer, the edge of the forest appeared. A large stone bridge, which may or may not has looked very sturdy, connected these woods to another forest.

" Finally. " sighed Snow White as she began walking toward the bridge.

I thought it was just strange. I think the forest was enchanted to keep anyone who wanted to go through it from going through. And the fact that it is so simple once you get through and then come across this bridge to take you to the other side just doesn't make sense.

" Does it strike you as odd? " I asked Eric.
" Yes. It's a little too simple if you ask me. "
" I agree. Maybe we should move a little closer to the princess. "

With those words, we both started walking a little faster, but since I was still riding Whirlwind, I was a lot faster.

" Wait a minute Snow. " I said as I stood by her on the bridge. We were already halfway to the bridge and Eric was still a good bit behind. I climbed off Whirlwind and then walked to the edge of the bridge. I had just heard some rocks falling and even though this bridge doesn't look that sturdy, that couldn't have been ours. I peered into the water and saw something lying there. I leaned over the edge more to get a better look at what it was and when I did I stiffened.

Bones!

There were bones at the bottom of the river. Animal and human bones. I flinched and then walked back to the princess and Whirlwind.
" We have to get out of here. "
" Why- " Snow was interrupted by the sound of more falling rocks. I looked back toward the edge and then saw where the sound was coming from. Eric had now made it to us as well, and the three of us watched the phenomenon unfold before us. A giant stone began to move and unfold into something completely different.

" Troll! " shouted Eric and started to push us to the end of the bridge, but it was already too late. The troll had picked up a stone and thrown it in our direction. The stone was so big and heavy that as soon as it hit the bridge, the bridge collapsed with us still on it.

We crashed down, trying to do as little damage as possible. All three of us got back up and while Eric went to attack that thing I walked over to Whirlwind and Snow White.

" Snow crawl on Whirlwind and ride down the river. That way you will also end up at the other end of the forest. You could see the doubt in her eyes and although I would have loved that, there was no time for procrastination now.
" Now princess! " I said a little louder which startled her from the thoughts she was in. She jumped on Whirlwind and as soon as she was seated properly I urged him on and they both rode down the river.

Eric was in a close battle with the troll but at one point a stone under his foot came loose and he lost his balance. The troll took advantage of this moment and knocked Eric away. Eric flew into a tree and I could hear him groaning and puffing.