Chapter 3

It's late in the afternoon when Up walks into the coffee shop on his way to the company building. Technically, he doesn't have any work to do today, but there's an idea for a song on his phone that he's itching to explore—and he needs the comfort of his own studio for that.

Coming up to the counter, he sweeps his gaze over the display, but still only orders an iced-americano.

"Can you make that two?" comes a voice behind him. He turns around, only to find Kao of all people standing there, his arm outstretched across the counter so that he can hand his card to the cashier. "I'll be paying."

Up has no other choice but to nod when the cashier raises an eyebrow at him in question and turns back toward Kao to thank him.

Kao hooks his mask over his chin to show his soft, cat-like smile. He's dressed in black track pants and a red oversize t-shirt, looking like he's either heading to work or from it. Looking unreasonably good for a Wednesday afternoon.

"Are you going to the company?" he asks when they step aside to wait for their drinks once the transaction goes through.

Up hums in response. "I'm gonna work on a new song today," he says, quietly hoping his will to write and inspiration won't vanish once he gets to the studio.

"Oh, that's cool!" Kao grins at him, eyes practically widening with excitement. It takes Up aback, just a bit. "I hope the coffee gives you a power-up so that everything goes well."

Up ducks his head with a smile. Kao has this particular way of making him like no matter what happens, things will turn out just fine.

"And you?" he asks. "Are you going home now?"

Kao shakes his head. "I was taking a break, 'cause I'm helping Vinn choreograph for one of the trainees they're gonna be debuting, but I'm gonna be heading back, too," he tells Up. "Do you wanna go together?"

And so they do, walking down the sidewalk with their coffee, talking about where to drag their friends next when they decide to all go out together again. When they get to the company building, Up almost feels bad that they have to part ways—but they pass dozens of doors and get greeted by their Juniors and keep talking and... Kao ends up walking him up to the door of his studio.

Even then, it's hard to just cut the conversation, so they stand and talk, switching to the topic of work and the upcoming group the company wants to debut—how they might both be taking part in the process.

At least until Vinn doesn't notice them as he makes his way upstairs with a cup of the vending machine coffee in his hand. He grabs Kao and practically drags him away as he says they should go to work and let Up work.

He watches the two of them bicker until the very moment they disappear from his field of vision.

-ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Up forgets about Kao's cute cat until Kao invites him over to his place.

It should be hard to forget, considering Kao posts cute pictures and videos of it on his Instagram every day, but Up isn't a big fan of social media, so—especially when he's busy with work like he is now—he misses most of the updates.

The sight that welcomes him over makes him want to quickly catch up on everything he's missed, though.

His cat is napping on the couch, tangled in a fluffy blanket, with only its paws and cute noses sticking out. It looks so peaceful and unbothered by the rest of the world that Up just can't help but stare, his cheeks hurting from how widely he's grinning as he tries to absorb their calmness.