Chapter 1

When a 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck Hell's Kitchen this morning, everything came to a standstill. People screaming, buildings shaking, lamppost falling, animals feeling wary was all bugging Matt.

It was better before when he was just chilling in his apartment with his coffee. He knew something was off today. But he couldn't make it out. It's not like he has felt earthquakes before, except the time when the building fell on him when he was with Elektra. He doesn't even know if she's alive.

His ears has been alarming him since yesterday. But he waved it off by spending some time at the office with Foggy and Karen.

He left his apartment with his cane and walked down the stairs. On the streets he could smell the buns that were being made in the small town bakery next to his apartment. Maybe it was good if he took some for Foggy and Karen. And so he did.

The customers that waited in line were impatient of Matt as he took time to make out the money he had to give to the counter lady.

"That's the one mister" the lady said as she pointed out to the note. But she quickly retreated her hand and blushed.

"I am sorry. My bad. Here let me help you sir" the lady took Matt's wallet and paid for him. It was clear that Matt trusted her. She had at times helped him when he needed to take down his trash, even though he could do it himself.

"Thank you" Matt said and took his buns.

As he walked down the streets, he sensed that unfamiliar feeling again. It was like something was going to happen, but what? A dog was barking on the opposite side and even the birds were chirping quite loudly. Matt brushed it off again thinking it must be because of the last night fight that fucked up his senses. Though it was odd for it to work this good. Usually he becomes more blind.

He opened the door to Nelson, Murdock and page firm. Foggy greeted Matt with a wink to which Matt smiled.

"Good morning sunshine, what's up?" Foggy said as he stacked papers on the table.

"Nothing much, I got buns for you" Matt said and Foggy immediately grabbed them. He peaked inside and probably thought about how good they smelled. Karen walked from the room and chuckled at Foggy.

"Foggy you have to share those with me and Matt" she said.

They sat on the table and adored the buns. Matt had the weird feeling again. But this time it was intense. His ears were ringing quite loud. And it seemed like they were coming from the ground. Foggy noticed it and asked.

"What's wrong Matt?"

Matt didn't say a word instead he focused more on his hearing. He constant moved his head to hear it better. Foggy and Karen were concerned but they knew it is better to let Matt do his thing.

Matt quickly crouched down on the floor and put his hand to feel the vibrations. He understood.

The dog barking.

The birds chirping.

The unfamiliar sounds.

"Take cover!" He yelled and both Foggy and Karen were alerted. Matt grabbed both their arms and went under the table. "Matt!? What is it?" Karen yelled.

"Earthquake"

The ground began to shake violently. All the papers from the side table fell down. Foggy saw the glass pot that was given by an old lady had shattered on the floor. It was never too late when the ceiling from Matt's office room fell and made a loud crashing noise.

Karen screamed. But Foggy's was the loudest. Matt had put both his arms protectively around his friends. He didn't want them to be hurt just because he couldn't predict the earthquake before.