Stack of realities

Climbing the last steps of the metal ladder attached to the wall of the tall building, he felt a stronger breeze of cool wind on his cheeks. Placing his feet protected by black sneakers on the roof, he closed his eyes and consciously forced new air into his lungs. Stimulated by another dose of oxygen, his eyelids slowly moved up, allowing his vision to register the image that spread out right in front of him. Ever-living Tokyo, sprinkled in countless lights, stimulated his slightly tired body.

With a slow step, he moved forward, heading to the edge of the building. Reaching the edge, he sat down, filling the space under the low metal railing with himself and resting his forearms on its cool surface, slightly leaned forward.

From this height, from this perspective, the impression of fragility seemed even stronger. The mind and body of the blond-haired boy experienced the existence of his own weaknesses even more clearly.

This perspective also stirred something else in him.

He wanted to stop questioning the rightness of the direction he wanted to go. He wished to throw away all doubts, to ignore the expectations that society was imposing. To shatter the illusion it was creating, by setting its own rules for proper behavior.

- From the next building, the view is even more amazing - he heard a familiar voice just behind him.

Totally surprised, he didn't react, not even trying to make any word leave his throat. He didn't expect anyone to go so high, hitting such an unobvious and so far desolate place.

- Did you know? - he asked, undeterred by the lack of response, taking the seat next to him.

- Suspected.

- So why didn't you try?

This time Mikey decided to make a move. Meeting the gaze of the dark eyes staring at him, his lips moved saying:

- I was hoping that this wouldn't be the last time I would have the chance to take a little risk.

- Seemingly yes, however... the certainty is never one hundred percent.

- Do you assume that today is all I have? That tomorrow may not come?

- This is possible not only in your case. I'm also at this risk.

- Quite dark scenario - he commented, returning to the calming view of the overwhelming lights of the huge city.

- I wouldn't say dark. Rather... free of illusion, real.

- The truth can be dark.

- The truth is essential. Everything is based on it.

Mikey turned his gaze, fascinated by the view to his friend and looking at him for a while, realized that he came here for a specific purpose.

- Did you prepare for a long time to come here? - he asked, without taking his eyes off him.

- Yes.

- I assume that the change in my behavior has caught your attention and caused you concern.

- That's right.

Mikey looked down, getting the impression that the intensity of his friend's dark eyes was able to penetrate him, to see the hidden truth.

- I don't know if I can talk about it. I'm not sure if I could tell you how I feel.

- Try.

- ...You said that the view from the next building is more impressive - he said, returning his gaze to him. - I would like to find out if it's true.