{chapter eighteen}

"You still live in the silences between my thoughts

"You still live in the silences between my thoughts." -d.j

~Lina~

I fall out of my bed with a thud. Screams dying on my lips. My forehead is covered in sweat and my head is pounding. Either from me falling, or it being hit with a bear bottle the night before, I'm not sure. There are tears rushing from my eyes and my hands shake as I untangle myself from my comforter. I back away from my bed until my back meets the wall and bring my knees to my chest.

My dreams have never been that bad. Never felt so real. It was like I was awake, living in the images. They're normally the same. Replaying the crash and twisting it. This was different.

I bring my head to me knees and try to breathe. When it does nothing I look back up. I'm suddenly aware of an object poking into my back. I sit up and reach to move it. My hands encounter something soft. Through blurry eyes I make out a black jacket. I recognize it. It's Masons jacket. The one he gave me that night he drove me home in the rain. I forgot I had it.

Seeing it now almost makes me want to call him like he said I could. I know he'd come. He'd hug me and hold me and tell me it'll be okay. Even if it won't. I didn't even realize how much I wanted that until new tears surface at the thought of why I can't have it.

I hug the jacket close to muffle my sobs.

~~~

By the time everyone starts to make their way into first hour I've already been there for 10 minutes. To say I feel like shit would be an understatement. It feels like my head is going to explode. Every noise sounds 100 times louder, and the fluorescent lights make me dizzy.  I have my head resting on my arms on the desk. My hood on.

I don't look up as I hear footsteps approaching.

"Ignoring my texts, are we?" A voice says, and I hear the chair next to me get pulled out. I don't bother looking up to see who it is, I already know. "If you weren't so early you would've seen Andrew trip over air and face plant on the way into school. It was pretty funny."

I don't reply and keep my head down. Maybe he'll get the hint and stop talking. Even if his voice is one of the only ones I want too here, it's too loud.

"Are you even awake? I told you; you need to sleep more. It is critical to your health." Mason does not get the hint.

"Be quiet," I whisper but don't know if he hears me.

"Did you say something? I don't think I heard you." I feel his breath on my neck telling me he moved closer. Sometimes he makes me want to strangle him.