Chapter 4

Your week was spent in the same arrangement, you'd go over to Reese's every few days and each time you'd choose a subject or two to focus on. You liked doing math with Reese as he tended to pick it up quicker than other things. For instance, you could get through three times the math textbook pages than you could for English. Luckily, you considered English to be one of your best subjects, so the two of you were able to get through the work, albeit slowly.

You'd learnt a great deal about him despite not having known him long, he seemed enthusiastic to share things with you and you picked up on his habits through observation. For instance, you noticed how he snorted when he laughed, which you happened to find adorable, and the fact that he was constantly humming one song or another. Habits that probably would've irritated you in someone else, only made you like him more.

His openness was returned as you found yourself sharing more than intented on several occasions. You weren't left with a feeling of regret like you usually did when you over shared though, instead Reese was able to help you talk you through your problems. Despite his exterior thoughtless attitude, he was able to offer an objective view of thing. He could be blunt at times but you were aware empathy didn't come easy to him and you appreciated his efforts.

He was as good as blind when it came to reading people and their emotions and you felt you helped him in that area, lending insight into why people were the way they were. Some of his questions left you stumped but others you were able to explain in simple enough ways. In exchange for this, Reese traded what you could only describe as defense. This meant that you were basically untouchable to those in your year. Reese assured you he would beat the ass of anyone who messed with you. You were aware that he could become spineless at times when things didn't go in his favour but you appreciated the offer.

You'd also started to spend time with Reese in school, and outside the IT block had become your spot. Luckily, no one else really went there so you always had the spot to yourself. As far as you knew, you were Reese's only friend and so you never had to worry about him being preoccupied by someone else.

Of course it was a big red flag, but recently red had started to become your favourite colour. You weren't sure exactly why you liked him so much, he was unlike any other friend you'd ever had. You'd felt like you'd broken him in a sense, for the boy that you'd known to torment and be so indifferent towards others had suddenly become subdued in his usual practices.

When you weren't deep in conversation, you did homework together. As you were in separate sets, your work was very different from his but you would often just sit in a comfortable silence, focusing on the task at hand and you would always help Reese if he was ever stuck, which proved to be often.

Today, you were sat cross legged from one another in casual conversation when Malcolm approached, a concentrated look on his face. "Hey can I talk to you for a moment, Reese?" He says urgently, you and Reese both share a gaze of confusion but he replies promptly "Sure, back in a minute y/n." he says, walking just out of ear shot from you. You sit their clueless, feeling a bit awkward on your own. You hear one brother exclaim something inaudible from behind you  and after a few minutes Reese returns.

Malcolm gives Reese a small nod of assurance before Reese begins to talk "Do you wanna come to a party tonight?" he asks. You hesitate for a moment, skeptical of the boys' scheme "Why?" you respond. "Jess in your year is having a party and we want to go. It's like a "If you've heard about it you can go" situation. Our mom would kill us if she found out though." Malcolm says, explaining the situation. "And we wondered if we could tell our parents we were staying over at yours." Reese says, cutting off his younger brother.

You think for a moment but the answer seems obvious "Sure, why not." you shrug, recieving a thanks from Malcolm before he awkwardly leaves you both alone again. "I don't care about having an excuse but it makes him feel better." Reese says, seating himself opposite you again. It makes sense, for he probably wouldn't have even considered the possible consequences for his actions until after the party. 'What an idiot' you think, smiling to yourself slightly.