Chapter 29: For Better or For Worse

Aryan plucked at the closed collar of his sherwani in irritation and scowled. Why his Maa and Di had insisted he wear this infernal thing for the engagement he couldn't understand. He could have easily worn one of his tailored shirts and pants but had given in to his family's emotional blackmail and was now dressed in a navy blue silk kurta pyjama with tiny golden flowers sown into the collar and down the front, paired with gold colored jootis.

The function was low key owing to Satyakam's recently deceased status and his and Imlie's insistence that they did not want any grand celebration. As a result, very few people had been invited outside of the immediate family. DCP Sir, Arshad, Rajesh Sharma from BT, Pankaj Tripathi and Jyoti Sandhu where in attendance. A small dais had been erected in front of the temple in Di's home decorated with flowers and diyas so as to fulfil Imlie's request that the engagement happen in front of Sita Maiyya.

Flicking his collar once again he watched as his Di made her way over to him, a wide smile on her face. Glowing in a beige saree, inlaid with gold beads and minimal jewelry, Arpita reached upto adjust his collar and smooth it down.

"You have made me so happy today Gonchu" she said patting his shoulder. "I had given up hope of this day coming. Now stop scowling and smile so that Imlie doesn't run away when she sees your grumpy face."

Aryan rolled his eyes at that. 

"Will you stop becoming a PCB (poori crazy bhais)?" he said slapping her hands away as she tried to buff up his hair.

Arpi reached up to twist his ear and whispered threateningly "If you ever call me that name again in front of others, I will make sure everyone knows what UNB stands for and how you got that name."

He smirked ignoring the pain in his ear.

"What brother and sister upto?"asked a new voice and they both turned to see Narmada beaming at them.

"Nothing Maa, just that you look like the bride to be" Arpita teased admiring the elegant picture she made in her sea green saree with silver border.

Narmada flushed with pleasure "I no bride, I the sasumaa (mother in law)" she said with pride. "Bride coming, and I say to Aru, she soo beautiful."

Tuning out the excited chatter of his mother and sister as they discussed how perfect Imlie looked, Aryan let his mind wander to how surprised he had been when she had turned up at his police station the day after his proposal. He had been busy with some paperwork when Shinde had announced that Imlie was waiting outside. Taken aback and a little anxious because he didn't think the answer would be a yes, given the speed with which she had decided after asking for time to think, he had started preparing arguments in his head to convince her that this was the right step for them.

All of those arguments had flown from his head though when he had seen her walking into his cabin, her hair held from away from her forehead by small braids while the rest of it fell unbound to her waist. Silver bangles clinked as she adjusted the bag over her shoulder and stared at him with what appeared to be resolute determination.

"Good evening ACP, I have come to give an answer to your question from yesterday. I didn't know what time you would get home today so thought it better if I come here."

She paused and took a deep breath "I have some conditions that I want you to hear out and agree to before I say yes to your proposal."

Aryan swallowed, tamping down the spurt of joy that had burst through him. She was going to say yes. Focus Aryan he reminded himself keeping his face impassive.

"First I want both of us to take the time and effort to get to know each other properly. Just hi-bye won't work. To that end I propose that we spend some quality time together atleast once a month. I think the English call it a "date". You can decide the place and time the first time and I will decide the next time. In these "dates" both of us must make the effort to have meaningful conversations with the other on our likes, dislikes, dreams, past, future and so on. Also the person being taken for the date must appreciate the effort the other person has put in to arranging the date. Deal?"