Part 4: Childhood

The sunlight hits my eyes. I turn away to grab my cannula. I walk around the hospital halls and see other children my age or younger playing around or talking. We all look like we are going to school with our blue gowns acting as our uniforms. I see a boy with light blue eyes and smooth, pale blonde hair that cuts below his jawline. He also has long bangs, almost covering his face entirely. He's eating the cafeteria food with a sore look on his face. I understand the cafeteria food isn't great, I mean it is hospital food after all. I went to join in as I had an agenda of befriending every kid in this hospital. "What's your name? " I ask. I could see he was lonely, younger kids have a hard time making friends here so this wasn't really surprising."Eichi. Eichi Tenshouin.", "Oh, nice name" I reply. Struggling to break this thick air I ask, "The rice isn't really holding up huh?", "No that's not it. Don't worry about it," he says while putting on a weak smile. Slowly meeting him every day at the cafeteria became my routine. Turns out we are the same age. As the days go by we became best of friends. Even after I got discharged I came to the hospital to talk with him every day.  We occasionally saw superhero shows together.

One of our conversations really left an impression on me

One of our conversations really left an impression on me. While playing chess on his bed, he suddenly turned to me and said, "You would make a charming shinigami" I knew exactly what he was talking about. A frequent conversation we had was about how I would be the one to perform his funeral rites to pass Eichi on to the next life. He was very afraid of dying but my agreement to do his funeral rites gave him some peace of mind, at least that's what he says. Of course, all happy things don't last forever so when we turned 16, we started talking less frequently. We both were THE team. I'm so glad he found so many wonderful people to take comfort in but still I wish I could have been with him through it all. A taste of our youth flashed in my mind as I slowly took grasp of reality again, just to wake up to me sleeping next to Eichi. NEXT TO EICHI????WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? I know we cleared up our troubles but this- a whole new level!