VI. When I Dream (Of Dying)

Words : ±8.1k

Summary : Chaos unfolds. Plans carried out and failed yet again. An unspoken truce formed somewhere in the battle.

Warning (s) : Blood, mentions of torture, needles, guns, death.

A/N : I'm soooo sorry this took so long BUT. I do hope it's worth the wait LOL. Thank you to everyone who stuck by and followed through till the end I love every single one of u! Enjoy. :) <3

Part 6 of 6.

∵※∵

Nevermore was in lockdown; again. It had only been one day since the attack at the theatre, and it was a moment too long for Wednesday to sit still while her enemy was out in the wild, scheming her next move to annihilate the cursed school. Perhaps letting it burn wouldn't be such a bad idea - she didn't dwell on the possible outcome had she just left them to fend for themselves. Despite being filled of what could be considered magical beings, the students were too damn idiot to have the faintest idea of their impending doom.

Said doom came faster than they anticipated - but Wednesday was well prepared; she'd been prepared the moment she stepped back into the grounds, her heart clenching and palms sweating as she analyzed the situation at hand. There was no reason Weems wouldn't believe her now, and her suspicions were immediately confirmed as soon as the headmaster paled when confronted. She still believed you were innocent, that you could be saved. Wednesday had less faith in it than her resent for herself, falling into the same trap set by the same person. The name Gates wouldn't leave her alone, and she was forthrightly getting sick of it.

It always made her question her sanity whenever there was one near. One more affectionately than the other, though even that was unclear these days. What was the point in letting Wednesday see her? She knew it was her ex-teacher now, and the knowledge of you being the cause of her downfall sent her stomach dropping. Perhaps this was one of your games, but Wednesday had to be sure not to lose this one - she'd became rather fond of the school and the people occupying it, as much as it pained her to admit.

The authorities were livid with the attack, but they were well aware of whose fault it laid on - they failed in keeping good custody of the master-hyde duo, and their people had to pay the price. Yet after knowing one of Nevermore's students went missing, suspicions began to rise, accusations thrown around rather than concern given. As usual, they only lodged disappointment for their actions. The goth girl would never let the officer live it down.

Wednesday gestured to Thing, handing him the piece of fabric she'd pulled from your coat days before - do not ask the reason behind it. The disembodied hand scratched it against his palm, not knowing what to do except offer what little comfort he could to his friend. He wasn't a dog that could sniff out your scent, unless - wait.

"Enid?" The werewolf hummed in thought from the floor, various pictures sprawled around her as she squinted at each one of them. Unlike Wednesday who plotted your death vividly for when she found you, Enid had bursted out every horrid scenario her mind could come up with. For all she knew, you'd been kidnapped by a psychopath that could very well torture you just for the sake of it. If only the truth was to present itself to her, she'd be weeping before Wednesday could finish Laurel off for good.

Enid's eyes widened comically as she gripped the cloth in her hands, shoving it on her nose that had Wednesday cringe at her wolf behavior. They shared a glance after she calmed, the expectant look Enid shot her was indication enough of what needed to be done.

↭↯↭

"Thing. Keep watch." He gave her a thumbs up, and Wednesday strutted into the bleak, dead grounds. It oddly represented the old Gates Mansion, hence your so-called mother choosing it as a hideaway. Predictable, but it made her mission easier than it had to be. This once, Enid walked ahead of her without trembling in fear by the creeps that surrounded the house, her sniffers on high alert and if she had a tail, it would be wagging as she stepped onto the porch.