Chapter 17

Rose walked out of the kitchen, a genuine smile on her face.

She would never have suspected that her first day at work would be this fun. So far, so good.

Sure, she'd been excited about the whole ordeal, anticipating new faces, interactions, and relationships, but she still didn't expect the sheer joy she'd derive from it.

After 'having fun' in the kitchen and baking about a dozen boxes and trays of cookies, cakes, muffins, and any other assorted pastry that came to her mind, she'd woken Oscar up to have a taste.

He made a big deal of it too, walking around the innocent goods like some sort of detective. His display only added to the more than sufficient ego boost she got when he tried - a rather sad attempt at that - to hide the impressed and shocked look that swarmed his face as he bit into one of the cakes.

He said they were 'pretty good' and she only decided not to gloat because she hadn't even expected him to acknowledge that they were good at all.

After strictly instructing him not to take more than two of each pastry, Rose left him in the kitchen, munching on a donut while eloquently speaking with his mouth full and giving poor excuses on why he couldn't help her carry some of the pastries to the main area.

It was a nostalgic joy, cooking or baking in such large volumes and in a fully stocked kitchen, surrounded by most of the things she needed after a very long time of managing a tiny kitchen with limited resources.

She'd pay -if she wasn't dealing with a broke lifestyle right now- to spend her whole day in a kitchen, a big, fancy, clean, neatly arranged, and technologically equipt,  kitchen, with an abundance of ingredients; spices, fruits, and whatnot, and the freedom to make anything at all in any amount, without a care as to who would eat it, cause she knew she definitely wouldn't.

She was the 'cook to perfection and end up not taking a single bite but staring at your work with awe and pride' type of person. The true daughter of a chef.

Balancing the tray on one hand, she used her free hand to open the 'Employees only door, stepping out of the room and into the main cafe. 

Mr. Morgan was still in the same position she'd left him; squinting over his Dork Diaries, the only addition to the crowd were three new customers who were patiently waiting, each on separate tables and on their phones, for the cafe to officially open and be attended to.

They were all men, one dressed in casual overalls, the other in jogging attire, and the third in a black suit. 

Rose, carefully placing the cupcakes, cookies, donuts, and mini-cakes into their glass display case, silently prayed she wouldn't be the one to wait on them.

At this point, her trust in men was exactly one percent and even that was quite a stretch for her. 

The lucky men were Cole, Nehemiah, Mr. Morgan, and Oscar who each shared the quarters that made up that one.

She believed, no, scratch that, she knew, in her hearts of hearts,  a personal belief, almost a religion of some sorts, that men, of all kinds, shapes, heights, ages, races, and religions, were not to be trusted. 

At all.

In her book, they'd proven themselves worthy to be regarded as a breed of liars and cheats. Lazy, self-centered, and fairly dull creatures.

Everyone had a motto they lived by and stuck with tenaciously. Some people quoted that there was a kindness in everyone, others that everyone had a dark side. 

Her motto was trust no one. Men in particular.

They were so good at their work; cunning and trickery.  

A dashing smile, a promising heart, a doting love, a broken soul that needed repairing, a shattered heart, or a ruined childhood, one in search of their true love, soulmate seeking. All lies.

Once they got what they wanted, be it money, sex, or just a good ego stimulant and jab to laugh about in the bar, they'd be gone as fast as a mischievous child.

She'd seen it all, been with all types, and heard all lies. Nothing surprised her now.

Even Jake didn't really surprise her to some point, to a very sad, small, unexpected point.

The smile on her face disintegrated and she sighed, rolling her eyes at the sudden turn her mind decided to take.

Men. Even the thought of them is poisonous.

"Rose!" 

She jumped at her the sudden sound of her name, turning to find the culprit as the now blushing Penny who had also succeeded in getting a glare from Mr. Morgan and drawing the attention of the three customers.

Penny bashfully scurried towards Rose, waving and whispering a 'sorry' to the accidental audience.

"Hey, sorry for that. I just came from the kitchen looking for you and Oscar was being a sarcastic jerk," She said, scowling at the thought of her brother and drawing a chuckle from Rose.

"No problem. What do you need me to do?"

Please don't let me wait, please don't let me wait. 

Penny turned to check the crowd once more before looking at the newly inputted pastries then back at Rose who was putting on a very convincing smile despite her inner plea.

"You can stay here just in case anyone wants something from here or the kitchen. Or you could go wait if you mind. I don't want it to seem like I'm bossing you around or anything," Penny said, the child-like blush appearing on her face once more.

Rose almost cooed, she was quite cute when she wasn't fighting Oscar. 

Rose could clearly see that she was more interested in interacting with the customers than staying fixed in one position,  and she honestly had no problem with that.

"It's not a problem at all Penny. I'd rather stay here and learn the ropes anyway. Thank you." Rose said, giving her a soft, reassuring smile.

Penny's shoulders relaxed and she beamed widely at Rose, not bothering to hide her relief or joy. Rose beamed right back at her, mirroring a similar expression.

"Thank you so much, Rose! You're the best. Is my outfit okay? Do I have anything in my teeth? How's my hair?" 

Rose smiled, shaking her head and watching as the girl patted down invisible strands and adjusted her waiting apron, feeling her teeth with her tongue.

"You're perfect. You look good now scurry along, let's not keep them waiting," She said, ushering Penny towards the customers and gently pushing her to move on.

Rose walked back to her comfort zone, behind the crescent counter, and observed in unmasked humor as Penny walked from table to table, giving a charming smile, an elevating remark, and collecting bountiful tips.