Turns out, monsters don't like fire

Leo followed Jason to where the monsters were, and fished around in his toolbelt. He wasn't really sure what to use. A hammer? Leo liked hammers. Yeah, Leo thought, I'll go with the hammer. Immediately, He pulled a large hammer out of his toolbelt.

"Hey Jason,"

"What?"

"BY ODIN'S BEARD! WE ARE FIGHTING!"

Jason sighed and shook his head. Clearly, he didn't appriciate good comics.

"In here," Jason called, and dragged Leo through a passage. Aha, Leo thought, My special passage that leads right to the outside of the boat. "Oh, gods," Jason said when he emerged. Leo squeezed in beside him, and saw what he was marveling in horror at.

Two giant, brown-shelled beasts were stuck on the hull. Slime oozed from under them, and giant tentacles surrounded their faces.

"What are those things?"

"I have no idea," Jason said, "but they had been a lot smaller when I first saw them." Jason's sword hand was twitching, and lightning was starting to spark off his arms.

"Dude," Leo said, "just attack it already."

"I've been waiting for that."

*****************Lyra***************

Lyra groaned. He had figured it out. She was sure of it. He knew. He knew that it was her who set the fire. Who burned the orphanage. Who ruined everything. It's not like she had meant to; she was protecting herself, and the fire was out of control. Piper was still standing at the door, smiling. Just get out there and suck it up, Lyra thought. Smiles. She had to smile.

When Lyra followed Piper out the door, she realized Piper was taking her somewhere, not just letting her wander around the ship. Well, duh, Lyra thought, I have no idea where anyone is. Piper took her to a dark wooden door, and knocked politely.

"Hazel? You in there?" In response the door opened, and a young girl popped her head through. Her skin was a dark brown, and her hair was done in long curls. Her eyes were striking-bright golden, like the very metal.

"Yeah?"

"Hazel, Lyra. Lyra, Hazel." Hazel smiled, and put out her hand. Lyra took it and shook.

"This is the new demigod, right?" Lyra nodded before Piper could respond.

"Daughter of Hephaestus, right? Leo has this cool tool place if you wanna see it."

"Tools?" Lyra asked. "I love tools. Where is it?"

"I'll take you there. It's right down-"

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!" Lyra shot her head up, recognizing Leo's voice.

"Where's Percy?" Piper asked, and Hazel dashed out of her room.

"Um," Lyra said nervously," Is she getting Percy?"

"Hopefully," Piper said grimly, "we have to go. Now."

"Don't need to tell me twice!"

************Leo*************

Turns out, the monsters got bigger the more they ate. Leo didn't particularly like this, as his boat was quite large. Both him and Jason were ensnared in the sticky ooze, which apparently, they could shoot from their mouths. Leo had tried using his fire, but the slime canceled his powers somehow. It seemed to have the same effect on Jason, who was trying to use his sword on the slime.

"Jason! Leo!"

"PERCY!" Leo shouted, and saw Hazel and Annabeth were with him. Hazel had her sword, Annabeth a dagger,and Riptide was tight in Percy's hand.

"Don't let the slime-" Before he could finish, Percy launched himself at the beast. Landing square on it's back, he drove his sword down on its back. The shell cracked slightly under Riptide's blade, but didn't break. The cracks, however, started to ooze more slime. Percy jumped away, only to be cornered by the other giant slug creature shooting slime at him,

"Annabeth-" Percy gasped, but was completely covered. These things are smart, Leo realized, taking out the biggest threat the moment it arrived.

Piper was running through the passage way after Hazel, and had Lyra close behind her. Hazel was clinging to the creature's head desperately, and Piper was attempting to break Jason out of the slime. Annabeth was desperately trying to pull Percy out, but got covered herself. Lyra, however, stood frozen, her face absent of emotion.

"Lyra!" Leo called, "don't let the slime touch you!"

In response, Lyra shot a giant flame at his face. Leo gasped, momentarily forgetting he was fire prof, and shielded his face. When he remembered his abilities prevented him from burning, he realized that the slime around him was shrinking. When he turned his head, he saw that Lyra was using her fire on the slime-covered Percy, breaking him free of his slime prison.

Leo suddenly realized he was free, and immediately followed Lyra's example. His whole body burst into flames, and he blasted the sluglike monster in the face. The creature made a deafening sound of pure pain and hatred, and fell of the hull of the ship, turning to dust as it fell into the water. The other creature was currently being attacked by Percy, and slowly being transformed into sand. Lyra used another bolt of flame, and the creature was down. Percy almost fell into the ocean, but he used a giant wave to put himself and everyone else back into the passage.

Once everyone was safely inside, they went to dry off. Leo noticed that Lyra was just sorta...standing there.

"Something wrong?"

"I...don't really know where to go. Is there a guest room or something?"

"Go back to the healing room. We'll find somewhere for you to sleep tomorrow. And...thanks, Lyra. How did you know the monsters hated fire?"

She smiled and blushed a little at the praise. "That's the thing, Leo," she said, "I didn't."