The Boardwalk

Dinner was good, you had ordered an iceberg wedge salad that was far better than expected. To go with it, you had stolen half of Martin's onion rings. As you ate, you noticed a cotton candy booth on the boardwalk, along with some carnival games. You made sure to let Martin know you wanted to hang around after dinner as well.

He was more than happy to. Actually, it seemed like he was more than happy to do anything. He seemed to enjoy your company just as much as you enjoyed his. He even tried to pay for your dinner while you were distracted.

"Hey! Let's at least split it. It's the least I can do, especially after eating most of your onion rings." You said, trying to pull the check over with your fingertips as Martin was signing it.

"Hey!" He said, laughing. "I already signed it, not much you can do now."

You ignored him, looking at the receipt and studying his handwriting. It was neat and clean, though the end was smudged from your fingers. "Aw, you've got pretty handwriting." You said, giggling. He snatched the receipt back, putting some cash on top of it and giving it to the waitress.

"Thanks, my teachers beat it into me" He said, avoiding eye contact and scratching the back of his head. He was still wearing that beautiful smile, though now it looked a bit more embarrassed. He didn't know how wonderful he really was, and you wanted to fix that. "So, where to next?" He asked, sliding out of the booth. You followed suit and locked your fingers inside his.

"I think I saw some carnival games, those look like they'd be fun." You said, walking out of the restaurant and down the boardwalk with him. You approached the carnival games and looked around. They had one where you had to shoot balloons with darts, another where you had to throw a baseball at some milk bottles and yet another where you had to guess how many candies were in a jar. You looked back over at Martin, who had an excited grin on his face.

"I can get you something over at those balloon darts." He said, releasing your hand and cracking his knuckles. "See anything you like?" He asked, looking over and meeting your gaze.

You smiled, nodding. "Yeah, I like that bear with the bow." You said, pointing at it. The thing was huge, it wouldn't be easy to win, but you wanted to see if he could do it.

"Damn, Y/N. That thing is almost as big as you." He said, chuckling. He stepped forward to the counter, putting down a dollar and taking his darts. He studied them, running a finger over the point and starting to chuckle. They must've been dulled. You turned your attention to the game itself. There were four balloons on moving targets, you guessed that if you hit all four you got the bear.

"You're only going to play once?" You asked, raising your brows. He would have to get a perfect round to win that bear, and he must be more confident in his aim than his handwriting.

"Yeah, don't worry about it." He said, a smirk on his face as he widened his stance, starting to squint a bit as he got ready to make a shot. He paused for a second before throwing the first dart. A perfect shot.

"Damn." You breathed. He was good, and he smiled before throwing the next dart. Another perfect shot. He just needed to make two more and the bear would be yours. The carney operating the stand stiffened up, watching Martin closely as he threw the third dart. It was perfect. You and the carney watched in disbelief, and you could feel the suspense build as he got ready to make the last shot. You watched as he took a deep breath before throwing the final dart.

Bullseye.

You couldn't help but squeal in excitement once the last balloon popped. Martin looked over at you as the carney got the bear down. He just smiled at you, crossing his arms.