i. the church

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Is this necessary, sister?" Sigyn asked the seer, she wasn't fond of her sister's gift. She walked around the bodies with disgust and stood next to Skade who ignored her. Sigyn would have fled long ago to find a new family but Skade's jealousy of her potential life led to her cursing Sigyn.

She had used Sigyn's love for her and manipulated the girl and thus she had experienced betrayal at its finest, family against family. It was a war within a greater war, an act of faults and flaws. The innocent Sigyn was framed while the guilty Skade was praised and the girl knew that it would only end in one way. One of them must die.

"You are weak. Our enemies would have killed you if I had not saved you." Skade snarled at her with blood staining her teeth.

"I'd rather my enemy's sword pierce my heart than my sister's dagger stab me in the back." Sigyn snapped back and clicked her tongue in annoyance.

She had learned the hard way that no one fights dirtier or more brutally than blood; only family knows that kind of weakness, the exact placement of the heart. The tragedy is that Skade can still live with the force of love and hatred her sister feels for her, that kinship lasts through life and death in Sigyn's eyes, no matter how great the misdeed or betrayal. She would always love Skade. Despite all of this, blood cannot be denied, and perhaps that's why they fight tooth and nail because they cannot truly exist without the other.

Sigyn moved to the window and watched as a monk slowly walked closer then she heard a guard laugh at the sight of the monk. She watches with interest as the handsome man glances around.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

"I would like you all to surrender or I will smite you." The monk says.

"What did he say? Smite? What is smite?" The dane guard asks.

"It's a word, isn't it?" Sigyn giggled quietly at the comment and stifled it by biting the top of her thumb. "A word from the holy book. It means slay it kill, I will kill you." He threatens, and Sigyn hopes he does kill the Dane men.

"You will smite all of us?"

"Yeah, most. Some of you might run away, hopefully. I've got a..." He trails off as the guard moves closer. "I've got a sword. A very sharp sword but I prefer if you surrendered." She looked behind her where Skade stood watching her.

"A monk, seriously?" Skade hissed out with judgment.

"He's handsome." She whispered as she watched the monk and his men fight the guards. Skade pulls her away to stand next to her as they listen to the men speak outside.

"Hæsten says she is of the devil and her sister an angel." The leader informs them, and Skade scoffs.

"Then it might be an idea to bar the door and burn the place down. Why not?" An Irishman says with a tinge of fear and Sigyn feels bad that they might die.

"To Bloodhair, she will be priceless."  The leader uses his sword to push the door open, as they enter the place is filled with dead priests. The pale witch and her sister wait for them, and Sigyn's eyes are once more drawn to the monk.

"You are Sigyn and Skade?" Their last guard unsheathed his sword and pointed it at the man. "You! You will do nothing except go to your lord. You will tell him that Uhtred of Bebbanburg has his witch." 

"I knew it was you." Skade finally speaks, and Sigyn perks up at the name.

"There will be a ransom to pay."

"No, you will go to my lord and you will tell him that from this moment forth, Uhtred of Bebbanburg is cursed." Skade holds out the heart, and the Irishman reaches up to grab his cross. Sigyn wants to stop the curse but she cannot risk it. Not yet. "The witch holds his heart in her hands and she will squeeze it and break it." Skade tosses the heart down. "It is you who are my prisoner now." Skade walks closer but Sigyn forces her back unintentionally drawing the attention of Uhtred and his men.

"Skade, stop it." She hissed quietly but Skade just grinned at her wickedly.

"Seize her. I said seize her. Sihtric, now! Bind her hands." Uhtred demands as he points to Skade, the seer glares at him menacingly.

"I have aligned myself with the three spinners of fate and taken hold of your life. You belong to me now."

"And her mouth." Uhtred says a moment later.

"Your path is the path I choose for you, Uhtred Ragnarsson. And your spirit is mine to torment." Sihtric binds her hands as Finan puts a cloth in her mouth and ties it. Skade stares at Uhtred as if she can see into his soul and Gene doubts she could.

"Cover her eyes." Finan placed his bloodstained hand over her eyes. "We'll take her to Aescengum."

"What about her, lord?" The monk questioned pointing to Sigyn. Uhtred looked over at her with a frown when Sigyn groaned before holding her wrists out.

"I am not much of a fighter." She says simply as the monk binds them together with a cloth, he blushed the moment he touched her and she couldn't help but smile. "I heal, she kills."