Chapter 6 - Assassination

Upon seeing this, Jingting gave us a glance.

But the scene was still formal, until a dancer pulled out a dagger and swung it directly at Rong Wang sitting on the seat. It was unclear whether she had offended someone and was pushed out to die, or if Rong Wang, this playboy, had once again been unfaithful.

In any case, the banquet was in chaos due to this sudden change.

Rong Wang happened to be sitting next to me and Liu Yu. This made me even more anxious and wished to hide under the table.

However, before I could hide under the table, someone pushed me from behind while I was still standing, causing me to hit the knife straight on.

But due to the pushing, the original tip of the knife had deviated from Rong Wang and was pointed at Liu Yu instead. When the tip of the knife pierced my shoulder, there was only Liu Yu behind me, and it looked like I had taken the knife for him.

When blood splattered out, I only thought how much of a shame it was to ruin my beautiful clothes. I couldn't show them off after all.

While I was still conscious, I saw the envy in the eyes of the officials' wives who surrounded us. They seemed to be thinking that the newlyweds had truly deep feelings for each other.

When Liu Yu's arms involuntarily caught me, I was already not very clear-headed, my eyes half-closed, and I saw a pair of golden satin boots quickly approaching.

I was carried back to the palace by Jingting. He expelled Liu Yu from the palace back to his home and left me alone in the palace. He ordered the imperial physician to treat me day and night.

All of this was told to me by Princess Nine later. Since I woke up, I haven't seen Jingting because he hasn't come to my palace.

Princess Nine peeled oranges for me and said, "You didn't see it. It's a good thing you didn't see it. The emperor went crazy. Although it's disappointing when someone attempts assassination, what really angered him was that you actually helped Liu Yu block the knife."

Upon hearing this, I couldn't even enjoy eating the oranges and said, "Liu Yu happened to be behind me."

"But you weren't standing so far originally," Princess Nine said.

"It was so chaotic at the time, and someone pushed me," I vaguely remembered something was wrong.

"I didn't see it," Princess Nine said.

"I wouldn't want to block a knife for anyone, it hurts," I said.

Princess Nine hesitated and said, "So, they misunderstood everything?"

I nodded heavily.

Princess Nine sighed softly, "Then my brother got angry for no reason. Although I knew he hated getting bloodstained, I didn't know he also hated... the bloodstains on your clothes. After you were carried back here, your dress was taken off to change into clean sleeping clothes, and when the little palace maid wanted to throw away the bloodied dress, the emperor stopped her."

"What happened?" I asked.

"Your dress was ripped," Princess Nine said, "He was furious, and I was also heartbroken."

Just listening to the description scared me.

When the dragon gets angry, it's not easy to deal with by acting cute and coquettish.

Princess Nine waved her hand and said, "It's not just that. Although Liu Yu seems calm, there are times when his brain can't keep up. After he left the palace, he went straight to the Qinglu Temple in the capital and prayed for you for two days and two nights until this morning. Then he left for the south to help with disaster relief. Now, everyone in the capital knows that you and your husband are a perfect couple, so my brother is taking it seriously."

It's just adding insult to injury.